1996 V6 Offroad H-Pipe?

Hey there guys... Right now I have a bolt on MAC catback exhaust system.

It bolted right up to the y-pipe, and it is the best exhaust setup I've heard on a 94-04 V6 Mustang, and it has rounded edges on the pipes... It's definately the sexiest looking as well.

My question is, how would I go about getting an offroad H-pipe installed?

I know MAC doesn't carry the midpipe for our cars, and I thought the best option would to goto a muffler shop, and have them custom weld one of theirs to my headers/catback.

Unfortunately, they're all giving me trouble about the emissions, even though every single Mustang I've seen, doesn't have any catalytic converters.

Anybody know what I can do here? I would like to get rid of the catalytic converters because they also scrape and bang on speedbumps and everything else... It's really a bugger! Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would keep the cats or atleast one set. You'll lose low end torque by removing them, on a stock car anyway. The converters not only aid in emissions but give the car something to work against -- back pressure is good.

Using one of those y-pipe kits means you're going to have to get an h-pipe fabricated since you'll have to hack off the pipe between the muffler and mid pipe. You could get a MAC H-pipe that was designed to allow V6 exhausts to accept any GT cat-backs (I think V6performance or some other V6 parts site carries it. I had one but I forgot where I bought it from), and I'm sure any good exhaust shop will be able to fit it.

Immortal LuD said:
I know MAC doesn't carry the midpipe for our cars, and I thought the best option would to goto a muffler shop, and have them custom weld one of theirs to my headers/catback.

Unfortunately, they're all giving me trouble about the emissions, even though every single Mustang I've seen, doesn't have any catalytic converters.

This is surprising to me for two reasons.
1) We don't have emissions testing in Fl. If you hold the title to the car, it is perfectly legal for you to remove the cats.
2) Do these guys not want to get paid? IMO, if I'm gonna pay someone to do something, they should let ME worry about the legal consequences since it's MY car.:shrug:

But unless you're cats are clogged or you're putting out some crazy numbers, I'd leave the cats in. O/R midpipes usually sound like garbage on V6es. PLus, you've got a '96, so you have to worry about the OBDII throwing codes.
More negatives than positives, IMO.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]This is surprising to me for two reasons.
1) We don't have emissions testing in Fl. If you hold the title to the car, it is perfectly legal for you to remove the cats.

O/R midpipes usually sound like garbage on V6es[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that the emission laws were more strict in Kommiefornia, New York, and Washington DC... (Obviously.), but not here in Florida. Is there any documentation that proves this?

And from what I've heard, off road h-pipes make V6's sound a whole lot better than anything else... X-pipes definately don't help.

The muffler shop that I walked into, was full of morons. It was the reason they didn't have any business, but I didn't want to seem like a jackass, telling them the reason I decided to come to them, is because it seemed like they could USE the business... Well, screw 'em.

Immortal LuD said:
I was under the impression that the emission laws were more strict in Kommiefornia, New York, and Washington DC... (Obviously.), but not here in Florida. Is there any documentation that proves this?

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/smog-check.php said:
As of July 1, 2000, the State of Florida abolished the auto emissions test requirement for all vehicles throughout the state. The smog-tackling program only lasted nine years, and had often been a fiercely political issue for many Florida residents and legislators. Several counties allegedly registered air clean enough to make the tests obsolete, but even the counties with continuing poor air quality are looking for alternate ways to breathe easy again.

As said, the emissions testing was only done in certain counties; Hillsborough, Dade, and Jacksonville were some of the few(bigger cities in these counties). My family has never had to deal with emissions testing, and I didn't hesitate to put the O/R H-pipe on my '95.

Yea, it sounds like you just ran into a bunch of morons. Probably for the best since you don't want an idiot welding on your car.
Just a matter of finding a good shop now.

Good video... Here's mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNF2eN9peo

I do know that MAC has the off-road H-pipe for my vehicle, (a good damn price too!), but the problem is that I already have the bolt-on y-pipe catback kit, and it won't match up. I even contacted MAC to see if it would work together, and they said they didn't have any kits or pieces to get them to work with each other.

Other than that, how does the MAC long tube headers do for you? Any hp gains or exhaust tone changes?

Just order the H-pipe yourself or through your muffler shop (looks bad taking parts you ordered to a shop for installation). They'll have to hack up your y-pipe stuff, but they'll be able to make it fit. They'll keep everything from muffler's back and weld some flanges or something to the muffler so that it will bolt to the h-pipe... and viola it would be like you ordered gt exhaust.

Now I just have to find somebody that has the f'n balls to do it! ;)

I know that someplaces would overall charge less to have them install their own offroad h-pipe, and that's fine... But if I can get the MAC h-pipe and have them install it for the same price, then that's even better. I just don't like the look of custom made exhaust.

If it's done at a decent shop, the custom exhaust will look extremely similar to an off the shelf exhaust. Just emphasize that you want the h-pipe to bolt to the mufflers. I didn't tell my exhaust guy to do that. So when I get an x-pipe, he'll have to put flanges on the mufflers to bolt up the x-pipe. I prefer to have an exhaust set up that can be disassembled without having to use a saw. The way it is now, I'll have to hack up my tail pipes to get my exhaust off if I can't snake the tail pipes around the rear end.

honestly...IMO, I'd just leave your exhaust the way it is. I know that kind of defeats your purpose, but like some people said it will sound better plus you wont lose tq. The only way I'd get a different mid pipe on a V6 is if I have forced induction. I would maybe consider have a couple cats removed or getting a high flow mid pipe if that is possible.