1997 Explorer motor into a 1995 GT project

TN95GT5.0

Feb 2, 2009
E. TN
I have a 97 Explorer motor with P heads that I am going to put in a 95 GT I just got with a bad motor. Researching whats required so feel free to let me know what you know..

I have been told that I have to be careful with cams on this motor. I was looking at the E303 but have read and been warned it doesnt go well with the explorer motor..requires some major tuning to work I am told.

Looking at the Steeda # 19 cam now ($199)..open to suggestions..especially ones that are cheaper..haha

I also plan to change the rockers to roller rockers (not sure if I need 1.6 or 1.7s'), valve springs and lifters (help me here too)

Digging around to get all info on using the explorer intake on the car, have figured out I dont need to worry about the ACT as its in the air intake on these cars. Got someone helping me here but feel free to share what you know, especially by experience.

I have a line on some P headers I hope works out.

Suggestions on CAI, MAF and TB's are welcomed.

I also plan to replace timing chain/gear, oil pump and add windage tray, new mustang oil pan, plugs, 9mm wires, rotary button/dist. cap

Swap over from mustang to explorer motor all front drive accessories/pulleys, etc.

Exhaust will be Pypes X pipe (w/cats?) Flowmaster cat back

I may be forgetting something..not sure. Feel free to throw in opinions and if you have done a Explorer to SN95 transplant what you ran into/had to modify.

Thanks in advance,

• Sponsors (?)

The headers are the main thing you're going to need because those p-heads. Other than that, you can source everything off the stock engine, brackets, etc.... If you're really wanting to put a camshaft into it, get one that's more friendly for the 94/95 computer. Stick with 1.6 rockers if you're going to get a new cam....if you keep the stocker in there, go for the 1.7. The stock MAF off the car should flow plenty for your setup, get a cai you like and you can find brand new tb for our cars on ebay for like 120. Other than that, looks like you're on your way :nice:

The Steeda #19 is used by a few guys here without major problems. The 94-95 computer is kinda finicky, it can adapt somewhat but will eventually need a chip to change the tune. For roller rockers, depends on your goals right now. If you want to stay close to stock, stick with 1.6.