1997 GT engine replacement

Feethurt

Dec 22, 2018
Indianapolis
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, and I'm joining to ask for advice on a new project I'm about to start. I just bought a 1997 Mustang GT 5 speed with a bad engine, and I'm considering my options to replace the engine cheaply. I'm planning on a junkyard engine, and the junkyard near me tends to have a lot of Explorers. Right now I'm thinking that my best option is probably either an aluminum Explorer engine, or else some other PI engine.
Will any PI engine work with my stock ECU? What years did the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car switch to the PI engine?
Someone told me that the 2004+ Crown Victoria intake would be an upgrade for some reason, is that true? Would it work with the stock ECU?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Your 1997 non-PI PCM will "run" any PI motor. However you will not get the full benefit of the PI intake without a tune and larger fuel injectors.

The "Panther" class cars switched to 4.6 PI in 2001. However, I recommend sticking to 2003+. Why? Because it will have the improved PI heads with more threads in the spark plug holes. This lessens the chance of having a spark plug blow out. In addition the 2003+ model year have the improved coolant flow around #8.

Regarding which PI motor to use. The main point of the swap is the make the donor motor look like (electrically) the original motor. So as long as the replacement motor is using the original:
  • motor wiring harness
  • ignition
  • fuel injectors
  • sensors (especially the IAC, and two ECT). Note, the IAC style used must match the original (black vented verses non vented).
The PCM will not be able to tell the difference.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know about the plug thread change. Did the Mustang also get better plug threads in 2003?

Like I said I'm also thinking about using an Explorer engine, because there are a bunch here and I'd save 90 pounds. I read that this will require an Expedition front cover.