1997 vs 1998

Don't forget the color changes throughout and some were unique to certain years i.e. Deep purple, Autumn Orange, Aztec and some others. I personally like most of the 96/97 features like the clock pod, blacked out rear bumper bottom and also wasn't the interior doors half black on the 96/97s? I like the all silver/polished rims of the 98s though.

• Sponsors (?)

mrvax said:
I believe the speedometer is identical from 96-98. The 99+ models went all electric. All 1998GTs I've worked on still have the speedo gear.

The fuel pump changed in 1998 also.

Yeah, I forgot about the fuel pump. As for the speedometer, on the 98 the gear drives the VSS and the electric signal is split of to both the PCM and the speedometer. On the 99+ the signal only goes to the PCM and the PCM drives the speedometer. That is why you can change the gear ratio for the speedometer in the 99+ by changing scalars in the PCM, but not the 98. Still it is a fairly subtle distinction. I thought the 96-97 still had a cable driving the speedometer... :shrug:

asthmaticZeater said:
i have a very early built 96 (built october 14th 95) and my back bumper is blacked out at the bottom.

but i would hate to have it any other way. i really dont care for the color matched part down there.

i also have the honeycomb crap in the grill on mine. and on every other 96-98 ive ever actually looked for it ive never seen it. and actually i never even noticed it, a buddy did and commented on how i had it and he didnt (a 96) and ive always thought it was kinda funny. it dont bother me cause you really never tell its there until you actually look.
Mine is a '96 too and it also has the honeycomb grille. Like you, I have never seen another one on a SN95. I always figured that the guy who installed the cobra hood also put the grille in, but maye not. I like it and I painted the front edge silver. I also painted the hood scoops silver. With the triple black, there is just too much black, so I am adding silver accents where I can. My sig has a link to my web site if you are interested in seeing how it looks.

Black96VertGT said:
Mine is a '96 too and it also has the honeycomb grille. Like you, I have never seen another one on a SN95. I always figured that the guy who installed the cobra hood also put the grille in, but maye not. I like it and I painted the front edge silver.

Of the 1st generation SN95's ('94 to '98), only the '96 models came with the grill from the factory. Karkraft, at least use to, sold a kit for use on '94, '95, '97, and '98 models if you wanted to add the '96 grill. I added the grill to my '95. :D

Without the grill, the hood latch is very easy to reach, and anybody walking by could pop the hood open. Kind of negated any advantage of having an interior hood release. True, the plastic grill wouldn't stop a determined thief, but at least it made the opening the hood a bit more difficult. :lock: