1998 gm olds intrigue

chrismillion

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
i know that this is a mustang site, but i just installed a waterpump on this car and after i crunk the car about one minute later it threw a code of "camshaft position sensor". i was careful not to move the crank fearing that i would throw it out of timing while i was doing the procedure. so any info would be great cause it is giving me a headache! again i know this isn't a stang, but you all know i have one.

P.S i hate side ways motors, they are a pain in the rear!

• Sponsors (?)

what size motor? did you have to mess with the timing belt to do the pump? the cam timing might not be spot on, if so (off by a tooth).
good luck.

well, everything should be good in the hood then. you cant really throw off timing with just touching the serp. belt. i have no clue why that code would come up. post a picture of the engine so we can get a better feel for it.

Joes95GT said:
Does the waterpump work like a Mustang where you don't have the remove the front cover to replace the water pump? Does the car run alright?

Joe
i never had to take mines off. i took the pulley off the W/P then i took off the powersteering pulley so i could get to a certain bolt for the w/p. afterward i put the w/p on and put the pulley back on for the powersteering and i put the w/p pulley back on. next i put the belt (one) back on. i put water in the radiator and bleed the cooling system with the bleeder valve. after that i crunk the engine and waited for the thermostat to open up and top the radiator off again. after that i put the top back on the radiator and 1 minute later the motor surged and the service engine light came on. i immediatly went to AutoZone(they treat me like a king there cause i'm there spending money all the time)and they put it on the scanner and it quickly put out "Camshaft Position Sensor" it didn't say replace it. i looked for a book on GM olds intrigue, but there wasn't any. i went to Advance Auto Parts and they didn't have one either. do anyone know where the sensor is located? i need help! i'm going to jump back down on it in the morning, so i need some insites. thanks

i dont think a car will run with a bad cam sensor (it is like our pick ups, in the dizzy). it should be on one end of the cam or in the middle. read the manual and find it. check the electrical connector.

for fun, go over every place you worked to make sure you did not forget to reconnect an electrical connector or any lines, etc. ive done that quite a few times.
good luck.

I work at a chevy dealer. It may be the cam sensor got coolant on it, or maybe you bumped the plug, or the ignition module could be bad, or a million and one other things. If you can get the code # for me I may be able to e-mail you a trouble tree to follow and find the problem. Too much in that particular circuit to diagnose.