1998 Gt Intake Manifold Advice Dorman?

stangbro916

Feb 26, 2018
Hey guys, I have a 98 4.6L. Pretty solid runner with most of the essential bolt on upgrades already done. There is a small leak in the back of the intake manifold which sounds to be common. Unfortunately it leaked down and killed my starter solenoid but that's another story completely.
I am planning on swapping manifold asap, my question is these dorman PI replacements...am I going to have a fitment issue? Should I stay away from Dorman competely? I am on a budget, it's basically either the direct swap aluminum Oreillys special or should I spend the extra dough and get the PI. My buddy works there, I bought the car off him so I'll get the Dorman for 160 or so. I figure if it's an extra 60 dollars and I make a little extra power. I guess the runners are a bit longer?
Any experienced help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

OK my take. I use my cars as daily drivers. Therefore I'm not concerned about loosing a few HP's. I have used the Dorman intake on two of my personal cars. It's true. They are cheaply made. And yes there are some real Dorman haters out there.

However I would never put a Dorman PI intake on a non-PI motor. There are enough fitment issues to begin with with Dorman products. Don't add to it by using a PI intake on an application for which it was not designed.

If $$'s are tight I would not hesitate to put a Non-PI Dorman intake on it and drive on down the road with the extra $$'s in my pocket.

If you are concerned about lost HP, then stop worrying about the $$'s and get the correct intake. Better yet, go to a salvage yard and buy the WHOLE PI motor with the intake and all.

OK my take. I use my cars as daily drivers. Therefore I'm not concerned about loosing a few HP's. I have used the Dorman intake on two of my personal cars. It's true. They are cheaply made. And yes there are some real Dorman haters out there.

However I would never put a Dorman PI intake on a non-PI motor. There are enough fitment issues to begin with with Dorman products. Don't add to it by using a PI intake on an application for which it was not designed.

If $$'s are tight I would not hesitate to put a Non-PI Dorman intake on it and drive on down the road with the extra $$'s in my pocket.

If you are concerned about lost HP, then stop worrying about the $$'s and get the correct intake. Better yet, go to a salvage yard and buy the WHOLE PI motor with the intake and all.

Okay yeah that's the feedback I was looking for. I can bolt on parts easy enough but I still have much to learn on some of the more complex ways that a motor works. I found out that the heads are ported so does that qualify them for a PI?

It's the shape of the intake ports that matters. The non-PI is tear dropped shape. The PI is more square shaped.

A ported set of non-PI heads still has the same tear drop intake port shape. And therefore would have the same interface fitment.

I went from doorman to stock ford. I constantly had dealing issues with the doorman’s and have that exact issue right now on my 96 pi swap. My 99gt with doorman had the same issues. Personally I think it’s a waste of money, both intakes are not older than 3years and both are junk. The ford factory lasted nearly 15 years on both cars before the heater hose pipe on the back broke. My advice is spend the extra 100 bucks and get the factory one.