1998 Limited Sport Edition?

1998GreenGT

May 18, 2004
Hey Everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1998 dark satin green GT. I got it as a gift for my college graduation, and couldn't be more proud. The car is very clean, 54k miles and bone stock sans the new tires and the flowmaster mufflers my Grandpa installed on the car (dang those things reverberate loudly at about 2,000 RPM). I noticed when I got the car that it had wheels that I had never seen on another Mustang. My car has the same wheels as this car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479076861&category=6236
There was a Mustang on ebay a couple of days ago that had the same wheels and stripe package and it claimed to be a Limited Sport Edition... a package that was only offered for half a model year in 1998. Obviously my car isn't red, and it doesn't have the stripes. Is my car one of these models, or did it just have it's wheels yanked off one? Is there a way to decode my VIN to tell? Sorry for the newbie questions. I have tried to do some homework on the subject and have come up empty handed. Thanks in advance for your help... -Louie

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the graduation gift, is it your first Stang??
Checked out the rims on the site you posted. They look like 94-97 Cobra rims that are painted, don't recall those being offered stock in 98. Your VIN won't help much telling what rims you had from the factory or if it's a speical addition, just what year, engine, and body style it it. It should be the previous owner or car dealer swaped out the rims. 2K drone sounds like you have flows :D. Enjoy the Stang

Those look like early SN-95 cobra rims. The package you are refering too was called the "Spring Appearance Package" where I lived but they came with the 17" split spoke rims. It's possible the owner before you changed the rims. Dealers also make up their own "packages" sometimes as well as regional packages.

It is my first Mustang, but not the first in the family. My Dad has owned his '69 Boss 302 since '73, and my Grandpa has had his '66 GT convertible since new. My Grandpa owned a Ford Dealership during that time.

Anyways, look at the rims more closely. The earlier Cobra rims had the lug nuts exposed and were polished. And they are 17" wheels... the later V6 wheels are 15" and 16". Thanks for the welcome! -Louie