1998 Speedo Problems!

katie98v65spd

Mar 8, 2004
Denver, CO
HELP! I have a 1998 V6er and about 3 weeks ago my speedometer went out. It was stuck at "0" mph and I took it in thinkin it was a problem with the trans. They replaced the speedo sensor on the trans AND they rebuilt the speedo head. Now tonight I was driving around and as I got up to speed the needle on the speedometer started to bounce up and down about 4 or 5 mph from whatever speed I was going?!?! :(

Anyone else had this problem?!?! I am gonna take it back and throw a fit at the mechanics but any other suggestions at what could be going on? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

HELP! I have a 1998 V6er and about 3 weeks ago my speedometer went out. It was stuck at "0" mph and I took it in thinkin it was a problem with the trans. They replaced the speedo sensor on the trans AND they rebuilt the speedo head. Now tonight I was driving around and as I got up to speed the needle on the speedometer started to bounce up and down about 4 or 5 mph from whatever speed I was going?!?! :(

Anyone else had this problem?!?! I am gonna take it back and throw a fit at the mechanics but any other suggestions at what could be going on? :shrug:

couple possibles , bad gear inside your dash cluster , cable is about to break , or it may be a problem with the speedo drive gear inside the tranny thats on the output shaft , the tranny has to be disassembled halfway to replace it ......

Since the Speedo is electronic and not sure what the mechanic did in the cluster and I would think he would notice if the gear was chewed I would say the sensor is not tight and backed out the transmission or a Ground problem.

couple possibles , bad gear inside your dash cluster , cable is about to break , or it may be a problem with the speedo drive gear inside the tranny thats on the output shaft , the tranny has to be disassembled halfway to replace it ......

Its electronic, there is no cable. The gauges are what have been taken apart and refurbished. I was thinkin' the gear in the tranny BUT everything worked for a little while after it was fixed 3 weeks ago. Do you think the speedo drive gear would be a consistently on and off problem even if it worked for a little while after the other things were replaced or refurbished??:shrug: