1998, V6: Cranks,won’t start-Sometimes

Hello,
As i promised on "welcome wagon",

I own my Mustang since 1997. I bought it brand new from a Ford-Dealer in Alamogordo/NM. Over 20 years this car never let me down. I made the German Inspections and did the TÜV an AU (Save Inspection an Emission Inspection to do by german law every 2 years). Please excuse my english. If i don´t know the words i will try to explain it. Hopefully you will understand my "english". And please excuse my grammar. My french is not good neither.
A couple of Month ago my car making troubles to start right away. It took a couple of tries until the engine runs. Sometimes it will start and then died imediatly. But it always started. And when ist started it runs fine. No power loss, no idle problems. I diddn´t showed this problem always...just from time to time. I didn´t payed much attention to it, because it will starts ...sooner or later...What i did so far? Well, i told my mechanic to look after it. He said no problem could be found. Battery is brandnew, fluids are chanched, connections are checked (no leaks or animal bits), all the connetions are cleaned, fuses checked, fuel pump checked, gasoline checked, everything was fine. The problem could not be reshow at my mechanics place. Then i figuerd out the starting problem causes more often when my trunk is loaded with heavy stuff, like beer cases, or grocery goods. Then i emptied my trunk and my car will start right away. Even in winter-times when its kinda cold. Today i parked at the groccery-store, slightly uphill (nose/hood up) and my car won´t start. It cranked, it cranked well, battery is full of charge. The engine just went on and died imidiatly. The engine shaked, like not all of the cylinders are running. I tried to start a couple of times. Crank, engine shaked, run on some cylinders and died. I went to a mechanic right near the store and asked for help. The mechanik looked under the hood, everthing looked fine. He said he hear no sound from the fuel-pump. I tried to start again, crancks fine, but engine chuckels and died. It looks like the engine gets no fuel. Then we pushed the car to an even place, with slightly downhill/nose down and the car will just start right away...with no problems...i drove home with no problems, no power loss, no problems driving uphills, left or right, fast or slow.....I have no idea...When my car is at the mechanic, the problem will not occur.....starts fine....we tried to swing the car up and down...the car will just run fine......30 Minutes ago, i startet my car with no problems, fired up right away with just 1 Cranck.....I am running out of ideas.......I thought it might be "crash-switch", in the trunk, passenger side near the tail-light.....or the fuel-pump, or the fuel-filter....but nothing makes sense......Can somebody else help?......Cursing, yelling, stomping at the car didn´t helped neither......

Greeting from Germany...

Yours

Michael

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Fuel filters are cheap and easy to change,I’d consider starting there.
Have you (or your mechanic) checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?
Have you checked for power at the inheritia (crash) switch when it won’t start? At the fuel pump?
Check engine light on?
Also
Welcome to Stangnet, your mention of cases of beer means you will fit right in around here :D

Hi....My fav beer is "erdinger dark weizen-beer"......Its like "Samuel Adams Beer".....Usually i put 2 cases of beer with 20 Bottles ea Case into my trunk in the wintertime, to get some weight on the rear axis....Well, we checked the fuel-pressure, like we looked if fuel running at the fuel-rail....And yes, fuel is running....Spark is there.....Check engine light is not present...It showes up during the start proccess, but went out soon after......When my engine runs and i drive around, no check engine light will show....Thats what i don´t understand...The "Check engine light" will pop up on every occation, when the car feels sick, but not in this case....No "Check engine light when engine is running"......The curious thing is...after we pushed the car at an even place, the car strarted right up....When the Nose/hood is slighly up, the engine won´t start......if nose/hood is downhill it would start right away.....curious thing, when we try to redo the failiure, it won´t show up......Is the inhertia switch kind of an potition switch, like a secure switch on booty traps?......Or a secure switch not to get the car towend away?.....I have bought a new fuel filter......and a new Themostat, because the heating system won´t work correct neither....its getting cold inside.....

My quick vote is a weak fuel pump. Something like a weak or open fuel pump winding or brush. Such that when the fuel pump stops in just the perfect spot it can't restart.

Another possibility is water in the gas tank. Perhaps run the fuel pump with the line disconnected until dry or drop the tank and clean it.

Bottom line. The fuel pump should "prime" at every key on cycle. Any time it doesn't it indicates a problem.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based ODB2 scanner that could also provide useful information.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Good Morning....
Thanks for your replies...This Morning my car started perfectly....On the spot, right away, with one turn....and it was kinda cold this night....I will change the fuel-pump and the fuel-filter...i guess after 130.000 miles my car deserves this new parts....whether the problem is solved or not....

I forgot to mention some other problem my mechanic fount out....i loose coolant... my radiator got a small leak...i allready ordered a new one....Now its Winter-Time in Germany, so my mechanic said, as long as i check the Cooling Fluid and refill, i can drive untill we can make an appointment to change the radiator....Due to the cold wheather it takes some time the temperature gauge goes up...and it takes some time,untill the heater will "spit out" warm air....After some 2-3 Miles the Temerature gauge is in the middle, like it should be and warm air is blowing out of the fans, sometimes the gauge gets down to a lower temperature, but will rise again (no overheating)....The engine starts better now...just after 3 or 4 tries, but what is new, the outside temperatures are rising a little bit, about 10 Degrees Celsius.....if the engines is about so start, it will right dies, after the next attempt, the engine starts right fine (no Check Engine Light)....But after i read some threats and post on this forum, i got worried more and more about a blown head gasket....I checked the oil, no white foam on the oil refilling knob, no white, black, blue smoke out of the muffler, no oil in the coolant...i loose about one liter coolant in 3 Days and 30 Miles, no loss of oil, no rise of oil, the oil looks, like it should be....now i noticed, that in idle at a stop-sign, the rpm appears to goes a little bit down...but its on about unter 1000 rpm...the engine runs steady, but it shakes a little ....During the X-Mas and New Years Hollydays my Mechanic is on Vacation....After New Years Eve i will (let) replace the Radiator, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Thermostat...What do you think, could my head gaskets blown?...

I forgot to mention some other problem my mechanic fount out....i loose coolant... my radiator got a small leak...i allready ordered a new one....Now its Winter-Time in Germany, so my mechanic said, as long as i check the Cooling Fluid and refill, i can drive untill we can make an appointment to change the radiator....Due to the cold wheather it takes some time the temperature gauge goes up...and it takes some time,untill the heater will "spit out" warm air....After some 2-3 Miles the Temerature gauge is in the middle, like it should be and warm air is blowing out of the fans, sometimes the gauge gets down to a lower temperature, but will rise again (no overheating)....The engine starts better now...just after 3 or 4 tries, but what is new, the outside temperatures are rising a little bit, about 10 Degrees Celsius.....if the engines is about so start, it will right dies, after the next attempt, the engine starts right fine (no Check Engine Light)....But after i read some threats and post on this forum, i got worried more and more about a blown head gasket....I checked the oil, no white foam on the oil refilling knob, no white, black, blue smoke out of the muffler, no oil in the coolant...i loose about one liter coolant in 3 Days and 30 Miles, no loss of oil, no rise of oil, the oil looks, like it should be....now i noticed, that in idle at a stop-sign, the rpm appears to goes a little bit down...but its on about unter 1000 rpm...the engine runs steady, but it shakes a little ....During the X-Mas and New Years Hollydays my Mechanic is on Vacation....After New Years Eve i will (let) replace the Radiator, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Thermostat...What do you think, could my head gaskets blown?...
I'm not sure how best to answer this.

I would presume that the leak source in the radiator has been confirmed. Or why else would you be replacing the radiator?

2nd question. Why would you replace the radiator in a car with a suspected major motor problem?

Regarding the major motor problem. Why guess? Test! Why not run a compression test? Then you will know one or the other.

The V6 is bad about trapping air inside the motor. The heat coming and going is a symptom.

V6 coolant refilling procedure:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...stang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

So finally i had my Mustang at a Automotive Shop. The Mechanic replaced the Radiator and the Thermostat. Now the Heater is running properly. But now it takes its time untill the Temperature get up. But the Heater ist working and no loss of Temperature anymore. And the best thing, no Head-Gasket damage so far.
The major problem with the bad Motor Starting got also solved. The Fuel-Pump got also replaced, as wel as the fuel-filter. And now the wonder happend. The Motor will start right away. Even at frosty mornings after the weekend. Problem solved. Just hopp in, start the motor and drive.....
Thank you very much for the help.