1998 V6 Rear End Swap

d-camarena

Feb 9, 2018
Hey guys, ive been in the automotive industry for a long time but i was always into imports. I sold my ls swapped 240sx a couple years ago to fund my home purchase. Well time has come to get a new project started, i was looking for another 240 but my sister gifted me a 1998 v6 mustang with a mint body and interior. Runs great, but i have a daily and plan on making this a fun weekend car. My plan is to upgrade the suspension and rear end first. In the end i will be doing a coyote swap.
My question is what rear end should i be looking for? Im new to mustangs or any domestics. I will be doing a lot of searching but mayb e you guys can get me started in the right direction.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think you would be safe with a 94-98 8.8 from a v8 mustang, not sure but a 99 up may be a touch wider, if you plan for coyote power you need at least the 8.8.
Some have even stuck the irs out back. I've heard rumblings about swapping in the 31 spline carrier from a truck or suv with aftermarket axels but don't have any experience there.
I'm sure some of the more experienced members here will let us know if I'm wrong.

94-98 8.8 would be direct bolt in, but technically any 86-98 housing would work. The disk brakes on the v6 and GT are the same, so your brakes and axle shafts will swap into any 86-98 8.8