1999 Crown Victoria Interceptor Engine Same As 01-04 Mustang Gt Engine?

Nitro Juan

Mar 2, 2012
I have done some research but i am still somewhat confused. I have read that 99 interceptor engines had the romeo engine which the 01-04 mustang have I recently put a 1999 Crown Victoria interceptor engine in my 97 Mustang gt. I want to enhance the engine performance on it but first i want to know if 01-04 gt mustang performance parts would fit the 99 interceptor engine. Are these engines the same in any way? And if so does that mean that the performance parts for the 01-04 mustang gt engines would fit the 99 interceptor engine? Any help appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the Romeos put into Panthers (the Crown Vic) were NPI engines making them closer to 96-98 Mustangs than to the 99-04 PI cars. It's probably safe to say that the long blocks are identical, the differences being in stuff like accessory drives and intake manifolding.

With that engine in your 97 you can do anything you would do to any NPI Mustang, including a PI head, cam and intake swap...

As a reminder that 2002+ Panthers have a Romeo PI heads. From a long block point of view, the Panther Romeo is the same as the Mustang.

The swap works very well. I did the Windsor to Romeo swap in my 2000 GT after the original Windsor failed. The current motor came from a 2004 Crown Vic. So I'm speaking from first hand experience.

OBTW, on a modern police Crown Vic, there isn't anything "special" about the interceptor motor. The real difference is an external oil cooler and a larger alternator. The oil cooler allows the motor to idle for hours on end and the larger alternator runs all of the police gear.

So since the Panther oil cooler will not fit in a Mustang, it will have to be removed anyway.