1999 Ford Mustang 5 Speed Manual

MustangQueen

Mar 2, 2017
About to start a steering and suspension rebuild. I'm just looking for a little guidance on what tools I will need to get the job done such as replacing tie rod ends and ball joints I've already got how to replace the hub assembly and sway bar links. Beyond how to take them off and replace them what tools should I require for the tie rod ends and ball joints. Please and thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Basic hand tools like wrenches,sockets,ratchets,breaker bar.
The not so basic tools would be a master balljoint kit and preferably an impact gun,and an inner tier of tool
IMG_1462.JPG

Master balljoint kit
IMG_1464.JPG

Tie rod tool
IMG_1463.JPG

Check out Harbor freight(or equivalent.) for some tools

Reactions: 1 user
I just did both inner and outer tie rods on mine. No special tools, just wrenches/sockets/big crescent wrench to loosen big not out on outer tie rod end. To remove outer tie rod from knuckle just remove the castle nut and install it upside down so the nut and threads are about flush and hit hard few times with hammer and it pops out every time. Only way I have ever removed them last 15 years doing hundreds.
Look on YouTube for tips and tricks
I never needed any special tools.
Ball joint just knock out with a hammer, is easier with the ball joint press but again I usually don't use it, takes longer.

Reactions: 1 user