1999 GT - Oil Dipstick/Tube on Swapped Romeo Engine

995spdgt

Mar 16, 2018
I picked up a '99 Mustang Gt that use to belong to a friend about 10 years ago. I believe the engine he swapped in was a truck 4.6 but I don't know if there is a way to tell for sure. I know it has Romeo PI heads going by the casting numbers today.

Anyway, I noticed it looked like the end of the dipstick had been hitting the crank or something. How, I have no clue. I was thinking either that or someone ground it/cut it off crudely for some unknown reason.

I ordered a new dipstick from LMR and it says its for my '99 GT 4.6 2V with the updated 6 qt fill reading. Then I get thinking what if it has the wrong tube on this swapped engine and I break off a possible second piece of dipstick in the engine?

Hopefully I will change the oil tomorrow when the new dipstick comes. I am going to try to look through the drain plug hole with an inspection scope see if there is any sign of metal or piece of dipstick if it hasn't been drained from the pan yet. Also look for what may have caused this.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me, oh the truck and the Mustang GT 4.6 share the same dipstick. Or, the tube and dipstick are specific to the Mustang so it would have had to have been changed already. Meanwhile I am going to keep searching. Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

The dipsticks are different on the truck because it mounts differently, and the oil pan is different. If you had the truck dipstick tube on the engine I don’t think it would fit at all in the mustang body. My dads 99gt dipstick broke at the tip... I dunno if it’s common but it has happened. I prefer the wire dipstick in the older sn95’s 96-98. If you’re unsure go to parts store online website and search up dipstick tubes from the truck to mustang and see if part numbers match

Thanks for your reply! I have been looking at pictures and videos online of truck 4.6's but there are so many and for all I know it could have been a town car engine or something else. The F150 ones ive seen look like its a little bit taller next to the valve cover. I was trying to remember what all had to get swapped on it, so was the friend that owned it but it was so long ago and we didn't do the work on it. He said he remembered he had to swap the intake for sure and I am thinking probably the oil pan, pickup, and dipstick and tube if it was done right as well as exhaust manifolds but just guessing at this point.

I got thinking, if I still dont know for sure by tomorrow I can change the oil/filter and add the 6 quarts it should be to fill it with the new stick. It should be somewhat obvious if it appears to be close to the right level on the new dipstick. I have read to the fill line can sometimes be closer to 6.5 qts though. If I get to 6.5 qts or close and the stick doesn't look close to right I will assume its the wrong stick/tube combination.

Awesome, I will for sure. Ill just be sure to put the new dipstick in before the drain plug is in so I can check the clearance to everything inside the engine with the inspection scope. (I'm hoping) I just don't want to end up out another dipstick and another broken piece of metal in the pan when there might be one already! Thanks again for the help!

Semi update:

I just got the new dipstick and it is quite a bit longer than the broken off one I have. It is a cable style. This leads me to believe one of three things. Either I have a long piece of broken dipstick still laying in the pan, someone cut or ground it off on purpose for some reason, or maybe if it was that big of a piece someone that cared enough might have already removed it.

Also the oil level is like 3 full inches overfull on the new 6 qt stick so I am guessing I have over 7 quarts in it now. I am sure thats good for the engine. Now I am just wondering what the hell went on to make that stick cut or broke off and ground up? If it was done on purpose why? I dont see how it would have broke or ground off anything that high up. I am thinking now the old broken one probably didn't even come out of the tube on the bottom side. Tomorrow when I pull the drain plug and get in there with an inspection scope I should know more I am hoping.