1999 GT to Cobra Conversion

Alaskakid_907

Apr 8, 2005
I was wondering if doing an engine swap in a '99 GT 4.6L SOHC to a '99 Cobra 4.6L DOHC Supercharged engine was a feasible solution to more power. I would be interested to know if such things as the engine mounts and other neccesary items would take a whole lot of fabrication to make them work or if they are the exact same and what other mods I should do to increase the power of the engine and still keep it streetable. Any input would be helpful! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Alaskakid_907 said:
I was wondering if doing an engine swap in a '99 GT 4.6L SOHC to a '99 Cobra 4.6L DOHC Supercharged engine was a feasible solution to more power. I would be interested to know if such things as the engine mounts and other neccesary items would take a whole lot of fabrication to make them work or if they are the exact same and what other mods I should do to increase the power of the engine and still keep it streetable. Any input would be helpful! Thanks!
I dont know a whole lot about it, but I know it is feasable. Just to let you know, though, 99 cobras were not supercharged. If you want a considerable amount of extra power, swap to the 99 DOHC but make sure you get a supercharger too or it wont seem worth it. Good luck!

Yes, lots have done it. It works fine, but is time consuming; I think even the wriring harness, computer, needs to be replaced. Check under 4.6 Forums; I know several did it back in 2002 and 2003.

**After thought - I forgot we lost our history.

Best thing to do is reuse your GT wiring harness computer etc... or you will run into serious problems. You need to use one harness or the other. If you wanted to use cobra wiring you would have to change everywire. Main harness, Fender harness, under dash harness and 99 - 01 cobra computer. You need modify your gt harness a little bit then get chip so it works the best.

Right now im swapping a 96 Cobra into my 96 gt.