Drivetrain 1999 Mustang Gt Drive Shaft Or Rear End Whine?

Bear1209

Aug 20, 2012
Recently, I have noticed more and more a whine/howl coming from the rear end of my stock 1999 Mustang GT. It occurs at any speed and only when pressing on the accelerator. As soon as I let off the gas pedal, the noise stops. I know for sure it is coming from the rear end, so my thoughts that either the drive shaft or the rear end differential is the issue. Before I pay for a mechanic to take a look at it, does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

• Sponsors (?)

Bad rear bearing, happend to me when i bought my 98 and i thought it was the tires, but no. Americanmuscle.com has a fantastic kit with all the seals and bearings you need to have someone replace them and if you want to change gear sizes now would be the best time.

Thank you for all your help! I called my shop and they working on a quote right now.

And to tell you ahead of time, parts and labor for everything including the differential fluid totaled 625 dollars for me. I also bought the kit from americamuscle myself and I used a mechanic that used his house as his garage so he charged bottom dollar for labor. Dont be surprised if the shop comes back with a bigger number.

i dont think it is your rear end bc i just had my whole rear end replaced a month ago and prior to it being replaced it was making those winding noises and it still is so it has to be your transmission bc that what i think my problem is.
I do think it is the rear end because I didn't have mine replaced and it doesn't whine.

Reactions: 1 users
And to tell you ahead of time, parts and labor for everything including the differential fluid totaled 625 dollars for me. I also bought the kit from americamuscle myself and I used a mechanic that used his house as his garage so he charged bottom dollar for labor. Dont be surprised if the shop comes back with a bigger number.

Thats nuts. Replace a pinion bearing/race and fluids (when you supply the parts) for $625? You need to bring your car elsewhere.

Bear, if you believe that the rear end gears are stock, then it more than likely is the pinion bearing. It could also be the joints in the driveshaft. Does the noise seem to go away when its raining? Because water on the joints will lessen the noise you're hearing.