1999 V6 Radio Won't Work

I was replacing my radio, I ended up blowing a few fuses most likely because I didn't take off the ground. I replaced the fuses, including the ones under the dash and the power distribution box, to no avail. The old radio that was installed won't work now either and I have no idea why. Any ideas? I replaced both fuses #26 and #32 under the dash, as well as #15 on the power distribution box.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO you should verify that you are using the CORRECT converter adapter harness for this application. Normally the pre-amp out RCA plugs are used when there's a SEPARATE amp.

Does the original car have a separate amp?

For an after market radio with a built in amp that is meant to power the speakers directly the pre-amp out RCA plugs would not be used. HOWEVER depending upon the after market radio it may be necessary to enable the speaker output in the radio's set up menu. It might be handy to post a link to the owner's manual and WHICH adapter conversion harness being used.

IMO you should verify that you are using the CORRECT converter adapter harness for this application. Normally the pre-amp out RCA plugs are used when there's a SEPARATE amp.

Does the original car have a separate amp?

For an after market radio with a built in amp that is meant to power the speakers directly the pre-amp out RCA plugs would not be used. HOWEVER depending upon the after market radio it may be necessary to enable the speaker output in the radio's set up menu. It might be handy to post a link to the owner's manual and WHICH adapter conversion harness being used.

It doesn't have a separate amp. I'm using the Metro 70-5511 harness. There's a black rectangular plug with red inside of it that my old aftermarket radio (before I bought the car) had which my new one doesn't, I'm not sure if it's the bypass or what. I have another harness, not sure what it's for, but it's for premium sound only, it has a lot of extra plugs so I don't know if that one would work. All it says is "stereo connector" for fords, but the mustangs listed are premium sound, and I doubt mine is premium as it's a 99 v6.

I have had great luck reaching out to Crutchfield. They are very good at answering questions even if they don't get a sale.
So it appears using the speaker connection that's the shape of a rectangle didn't go through to power the speakers, maybe it wasn't hooked up. I took the wide rectangular shaped one from the old aftermarket radio that plugged into a red/black plug and it appeared to fix the problem. Not sure why but experimenting really worked for me.