1st gear "jerky"

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Hey guys, new owner of a 5 speed 2007 GT. I noticed that first gear is really finicky in this car. It's not like stalling, but starting 'gently' off a light and the car jerks right after the clutch is released. This is only in first gear.

I did a search and found that some other people are talking about throttle lag. Is this what I'm experiencing? My brother has a v6 5 speed and it does not seem to have that problem when I drive it.

• Sponsors (?)

It may be clutch chatter. The clutch isn't engaging smoothly. Mine does it too, a little, and I've driven a lot of manuals and don't usually have any problems with them.

Mine does the same thing, I thought it had something to do with the procharger spinning the crank, but after talking to few people here in Vegas they have the same problem.

I had the same problem after installing 4:10 gears and calibrating the speedo. Jerky first gear and somewhat unstable idle. I thought it was a programming issue. but as it turned out all I had to do is clean the throttle body around where the trottle blade seat and all my jerky in first gear and flaky idle problems went away. believe it or not.

I had noticed this as well the first few days of having the car but I wrote it off as me just being very rusty with a manual transmission.

A week of having the car I've gotten the hang of it but I do notice that this clutch (when compared to that in a Camaro) is pretty finicky in 1st gear.