1st layer deep paint scratches.... not deep enough for touchup paint to hold.question

98Hell_Razor

Feb 22, 2003
Lawrence, KS
I've been trying to apply my touch-up paint to these scratches and chips from a hardboiled egg my car received to the roof but when I apply the Langka to remove the overpaint you can see the damage again.

now I've heard of people doing this so don't think Im crazy but should I make the scratches deeper so that the paint will fill in and hold and then use the Langka to take off the overpaint?

• Sponsors (?)

If your finger nail doesn't catch you should be able to get them out by lightly sanding them with some #1500 grit. Just make sure you don't go the whole way through the clear coat. As long as you don't take off too much, it should still at least blend the scrathces. Definitely not something you want to try if you've never done it before, though.

I've worked in a detail bay before but I never did any of the wetsanding. I went ahead and bought Langka to remove the excess paint from doing a touch-up job and it's worked well so far. The paint just won't hold because the chips aren't deep enough.

I just got done wetsanding my hood, and the tops of my fenders . (doing the whole car, just don't have time to do it all at once) When you're done wetsanding it should be dull and VERY smooth to the touch. Then, you'll need some good cutting creme to get rid of the swirls, etc. Just don't don't don't go too deep. Then, just use some real good wax, and clean 'er up. Good luck!

How long are you letting the paint dry before using langka? I have run into the same problems you are seeing. I usually let the touch-up dry for weeks before I try to use langka on it. That way it doesn't wipe off so quickly. Also, use langka sparingly, you don't need that much.

If you can't feel the damage with your fingernail you may be able to remove it rather than paint over it. Have you tried Meguiars ScratchX?

rjstaaf said:
How long are you letting the paint dry before using langka? I have run into the same problems you are seeing. I usually let the touch-up dry for weeks before I try to use langka on it. That way it doesn't wipe off so quickly. Also, use langka sparingly, you don't need that much.

If you can't feel the damage with your fingernail you may be able to remove it rather than paint over it. Have you tried Meguiars ScratchX?
Scratch X is junk.

I'm giving this try about 3-4 weeks this time and then Im going to use less Langka than I have been. I had been coating the whole area and letting is sit for 15 seconds.

When you say coating the whole area and letting it sit for 15 seconds are you referring to Langka or the touch-up paint? If you mean the paint then yes, it does need to dry before you use langka. If you let it dry for several weeks I think you will find it easier to remove just a bit at a time. If you are saying you let langka sit on the paint for 15 seconds than it will dissolve the touch-up paint rather quickly. I use it with the supplied card and a bit of an old tshirt wrapped around the card. I apply a very small dab to the tshirt and rub it over the touch-up paint a bit at a time until I am happy with the results.

What kind of problem are you having with ScratchX? If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail ScratchX should be able to have an effect on it depending on the hardness of the paint. The paint on the Mustang tends to be pretty soft and I have always had great luck with ScratchX removing small imperfections. Keep in mind it takes some elbow grease and several applications to remove scratches by hand.