1st time at track.....wheel hop blues

'06 stang

Jun 3, 2005
Ky
Went to the track today and had terrible wheel hop :mad: on every run. The 1st run was 13.70 @ 102.9 mph/2nd a 13.78 @ 102.9 and the rest were aborted runs due to losing traction.:bang: Hell I was even wheel hoping on the 2-3 gear shift on every run. I was running the stock tires with 24-34psi hot. I wonder if its time for either lower control arms, air bags or both before I go back. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I don't see the point running anymore at the track until I solve the problem. I have yet to have any wheel hop on the street. The mph was encouraging since I have 1400 mi on the car and only a CAI/93 tune. I assume on a clean run without having to let out of it I should hit 104-104.5 mph or so. Anyway it was good to goto the track and get out of the house since it has been a crappy winter here so far. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Ok More questions. I immediately went to the steeda site and saw that they have lca. They also have Billet lower trailing arm. R they the same thing??? What is the advantage over non billet?

Also who makes the best lca?

Where are prices the best?

eric n said:
Great opportunity for a education. I gotta assume I'm not the only one who would benefit. What do Lower Control Arms do and how does that aid in launch. Also how does that affect handling when not headed straight forward for 440 yards?

---------------------

Ok More questions. I immediately went to the steeda site and saw that they have lca. They also have Billet lower trailing arm. R they the same thing??? What is the advantage over non billet?

Also who makes the best lca?

Where are prices the best?

the OEM lower contol arms (trailing arms) are stamped steel. they offer little stability for hard launches. they easily deflect and dont transfer the power to the ground. the billet LCAs are mostly for show, when compared to the tubular or boxed LCAs. they all perform the same function, some look better than others. i will not pay over $200 more for show-i would rather have go under my car.

BMR is a great sorce for suspension upgrades. however, i am sure that there will be some more questions after you view this link. there are many choices in LCAs and even subfram connectors. then there are the adjustable ones....

http://bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm

Smoke-em said:
Seems like its pretty much a necessity to have LCA upgrades, Iv'e heard ofsome peeps replacing the UCA also.
some have done just the UCA and have reported that the wheel hop is gone. the main benefit of the adjustable UCA is the ability to adjust the pinion angle.

bigcat said:
some have done just the UCA and have reported that the wheel hop is gone. the main benefit of the adjustable UCA is the ability to adjust the pinion angle.
Ya thats what Iv'e heard, especially when lowering the car, it ends up changing the pinion angle.

Back to an old topic.

I have an 05 that I'm looking at getting some work done for and one of the suggestions was to get tubular lower trailing arms and a set of double adjustable arms. Am I assuming correctly that "trailing arms" are the same as control arms?

And do the folks here consider both to be important, just one, neither? From what I've been able to gather from the net (and I'm a car mod newbie here so this is all education) it seems smart to get this due to handling/wheel hop but just wanted to ask opinions.

Also, bear in mind that there is a TC going into the same car hence the request for info on the arms.

Any advice welcome!