2.3 carb question

PUZMAN

Jul 31, 2003
Hey,

I have a 1985 mustang 2.3 4spd carb car. It is in relatively good shape but I need a carb. The one I have is all messed up. It sticks, choke doesn’t work rite, and the throttle shaft leaks. I want to know what my options are. Is there something that I can get that will eliminate the feed back carb with the 02 sensor? Are there any performance suggestions on the table? I am also wondering what people have done to the exhaust systems on these things. Any thoughts on a muffler that will sound good? (Good means no tuner sounds!) I was thinking replacing my rooted one with a dynomax. Let me know what I can do.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you have a Holley 5200. But your carb should not be computer controlled that I am aware of. Just get another carb or rebuild the one you have.

The last data I looked at said that the 85 had the Holley 5200 and that 86 had a Holley 5200 or a Carter YF 1 bbl.

The computer should monitor the O2 and give a check engine light when it comes on but I am not aware of it doing anything with the carb. Even my 1bbl carb in my 86 had little to do with the computer. It is a smog model with lots of sensors but the way a carb works computers cannot control very much of. TBI or SEFI can be controlled very closely by the computer but carbs wrk different.

If you installed a non smog carb or a performance carb you would probably get a check engine light and thats it.

As for exhaust you can get a long tube header from several companies and the dynomax is a good choice. If you want to stay legal and keep the O2 sensor it should be very easy to get a welding shop or muffler shop to weld a bung on the header.

Well thanks for the imput. I know how a carb works i was just told this was a feedback carb that used an 02 sensor for some reason, that didn't make any sence to me though. Thanks for your help on this though. I am not worried about keeping legal as i ripped all the smog equipment other then the 02 sensor and the cat for now. I can weld on an 02 bung my self if nessary, but i dont think ill be doing that, im sure i can find a resistor or something that i can make work so the comp thinks all is well.

Are there any good places to get a carb other then ebay or summit?

Racerwalsh has some great performance parts, like a Holly 350 or 500 ...
I'm getting rid of the holley 5200 because the choke isn't working anymore, going to swap it with the holley 500.

As for the exhaust, mine is '79 so it's not really the same deal, I just got a straight line to the back, and just in the end a small 'muffler' and a chrome tip.
I couldn't find any good exhaust system here in Europe, so it's custom made, in stainless steel. Looks good, and will last for a lifetime.

Phil

turbostang79 said:
Racerwalsh has some great performance parts, like a Holly 350 or 500 ...
I'm getting rid of the holley 5200 because the choke isn't working anymore, going to swap it with the holley 500.

As for the exhaust, mine is '79 so it's not really the same deal, I just got a straight line to the back, and just in the end a small 'muffler' and a chrome tip.
I couldn't find any good exhaust system here in Europe, so it's custom made, in stainless steel. Looks good, and will last for a lifetime.

Phil

turbostang79, your avatar is showing your car, I assume. It looks great. Could you post some pics so we can get a better look at it?

yep, that's my car :D

I just installed chrome pony wheels today, so no recent pics yet.
Those ponies don't just look great ...
It's the first time I drove the car with other tires than the TRX's.
The car feels much more stable, and quicker in the corners !

If it doesn't rain on sunday, I'll take some pics, tomorrow I have to go to work :(

79 pace cars rock !
they look soooooo good

I would just find a good 500cfm carb and plop that on there. do some porting to the head and you will be good! yeeehaw. were talkin N/A though! right?!

Turbo carb is a different story though.