2.3 Dohc?

Tru_Blue_104

Nov 13, 2003
MN
2.3 DOHC Head?

I am wondering how hard it is to find a 2.3 DOHC head. And depending how hard it is, can I even put it on a stock 2.3? Just a though, cause I eventually am going to turbo it, but I am a college boy, so money is tight for now. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

there were a few prototypes, and you can find the pictures floating around.
Other than that, there is the DOHC 4 valve volvo head. it flows amazing #'s, but you have to do a lot of fabrication to make it work. MikeSVOR is working on it right now. :D

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
call me an idiot, but the '03 Rangers have a DOHC 2.3L - 140, wonder if anything will interchange? Just a suggestion.
That is based on the Duratec family. I would be shocked if anything interchanged. They built that engine family from scratch.

The new 2.3 is the Duratec block, ours is the Lima block. I'm almost positive they don't interchange, but I think a few guys on TF are looking into it very closely, just in case.

Ash

Tru_Blue_104 said:
I am wondering how hard it is to find a 2.3 DOHC head.

but I am a college boy, so money is tight for now.

These two don't go together.

IMO it's not necessary. There are people making 500, 600, 700+ hp with the 2 valve head. Do you need to make more than that?

Stinger

As Stinger said and as someone who has had to abandon several projects due to lack of funds, a DOHC 2.3L is not something you want to take up the cause on lightly. The VOLVO head itself is a bolt on. The rest from there is fabricate and garageneering.

If you want to make stupid amounts of power from a 2.3L you would be better off to get the 2.3L NASH from Esslinger Engineering. It is a new design Aluminum Street Head (NASH) that flows better out of the box than most ported 2.3L heads do and is supposed to be able to run any stock 2.3L intake.

Last I heard price was around $1500 for a complete head minus cam. That is cheaper than the costs for parts, labor, materials, special tools, and psychiatric bills from going insane trying to fabricate and work all the bugs out of a 2.3L DOHC mod. I am not doubting your sincerity to want to do this, but if your a college student this is one of those projects that could nickel and dime you to death and you have already mentioned you are a college student on limited funds.