2.3 / EFI / Boost computer options?

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
What are the computer options for a higher boost EFI 2.3L?

I am going to build from scratch, so any Ford production part is possible.

Ranger computers were EFI MAF DIS. Are these easily adapted to boost?

What are the differences between the 2.3l Mustang and the 2.3l Tempo/Topaz?

Any recommendations for TwEECer RT compatability would be appreciated.
I would love any references you could provide such as websites, books, etc.

Thanks
jason

• Sponsors (?)

are you wanting to boost a NON turbo motor? Or are you starting with a turbo block? For the turbos you can use a j3 chip for a maf conversion, i hear it works decent, or you can use things like the tweecer or ECCtuner to reprogram the LA3's 8UA's or some of the PE computers.. the stock N/A computers are not setup for boost, but could probably be reprogrammed. However just using a stock turbo computer would be eaisest. For more boost all you really need is a $50 boost control valve, but to do it right you need the computer to add more fuel as well.

Dr.

Dr. Elusive,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I will be using a forged piston, stock short block or aftermarket pistons depends on what I find and what condition it is in.

The TwEECer is almost a gaurantee for me to get at this point since I will be needing it for the 408w when I add boost to it. I am still trying to find out if the Tweecer is compatible with the 2.3L Ranger MAF computers though. The TwEECer site is a little confusing/discouraging in this regard.

You mentioned a $50 boost control valve, How much boost can you run with that and an otherwise stock setup? Any downsides? It sounds too good to be true.

Can you provide a little more detail on the j3 chip? I am completely new to the 2.3, so I am not very familiar with the aftermarket yet.

The j3 chip is basically an eec-tuner on the cheap. It can do all the same things, only it's ~150 bux total for the chip and burner.

You use PCMX software which is very nice. You could use it for your 408 as well I'm sure. The nice thing about the PCMX software/eec-tuner/J3 setup is there are already "plug and play" programs available for free that allow you to run a stock 2.3 turbo computer with a 70-80-90mm mustang maf meter.

The boost valve just allows you to adjust the boost anywhere between ~8psi and ~23psi. You can get a stronger spring to go up to ~35psi. Of course, you need to make sure you have the supporting fuel and such if you go over about 18psi. It also gives you full boost ~500rpm sooner than the stock setup. www.boostvalve.com

Stinger