2.3 to 5.0 SWAP

Prabh114

May 28, 2020
Vancouver CANADA
I have a 88 Foxbody LX. I found a 94 gt parts car with manual trans and engine. Would it be the same swap considering it’s the same motor. I’m pretty new here so I don’t know much. I would be getting it done from a shop but I’m grabbing all the parts myself. Also, what else would I need after grabbing:
Engine
Trans
ECU
Crossmember
Transmission
Driveshaft
Wiring harness
MAP Sensor
Read end
Springs
Fuel lines
Cables

• Sponsors(?)

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Rear end
Front spindles
Brake calipers
Brake rotors
E brake cables
E brake bracket in trans tunnel
Master cylinder
5 lug wheels

Might as well do it all

88 to 89 dash cluster ( higher mph and correct tachometer )

I wouldn't try to use the 94 harness in the 88. All you need is an 88 or 89 v8 engine harness and your choice of 5spd computers ( a9l is most popular ). Have the computer sent off and redone. Even the 94 is way overdue. You'll also need a v8 5 speed o2 sensor harness.

The 88 or 89 harness will plug directly into the dash harness of your 88. Saves a bunch of money not to pull the dash.

My car is a swapped car...also an 88.

The brake parts and rear end are highly sought after from that 94. If you want to stay 4 lug, and keep the sucky factory 4 banger brakes, you could probably sell that stuff for enough money to purchase the harnesses and computer. Might even have some gas money left over.

Reactions: 1 user

Prabh114

May 28, 2020
Vancouver CANADA
Rear end
Front spindles
Brake calipers
Brake rotors
E brake cables
E brake bracket in trans tunnel
Master cylinder
5 lug wheels

Might as well do it all

88 to 89 dash cluster ( higher mph and correct tachometer )

I wouldn't try to use the 94 harness in the 88. All you need is an 88 or 89 v8 engine harness and your choice of 5spd computers ( a9l is most popular ). Have the computer sent off and redone. Even the 94 is way overdue. You'll also need a v8 5 speed o2 sensor harness.

The 88 or 89 harness will plug directly into the dash harness of your 88. Saves a bunch of money not to pull the dash.

My car is a swapped car...also an 88.

The brake parts and rear end are highly sought after from that 94. If you want to stay 4 lug, and keep the sucky factory 4 banger brakes, you could probably sell that stuff for enough money to purchase the harnesses and computer. Might even have some gas money left over.
I will for sure try to get all those things, keep you updated for sure with any questions I have. It’s my first build and I’m still under a budget as I’m a student appreciate the help! Life saver

Reactions: 1 user

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Just FYI if both cars are going to the shop the whole k member, engine, brakes, and struts can be dropped from under the car and the 88 body can be lowered down on top. The k member in the 94 will go in the 88. The only issues are the width from wheel to wheel is wider and the front wheels are moved about 3/4 inch forward. There is a modification that has to be made with a bracket to push the corner of the fender in front of the wheels out about an inch or so.

The stock 4 cylinder k member can also be used but is more work with having to unbolt all the stuff and swap it over.

When I say wider remember that a wider track width is better for stability...the front wheels moving forward helps with caster and vehicle control.

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
SN95 dashes can be made to fit and look pretty cool but not plug and play. . The front seats bolt right in. Back seats need some massaging. As mentioned above, pretty much swap over the entire drivetrain, suspension, brakes..

Prabh114

May 28, 2020
Vancouver CANADA
Just FYI if both cars are going to the shop the whole k member, engine, brakes, and struts can be dropped from under the car and the 88 body can be lowered down on top. The k member in the 94 will go in the 88. The only issues are the width from wheel to wheel is wider and the front wheels are moved about 3/4 inch forward. There is a modification that has to be made with a bracket to push the corner of the fender in front of the wheels out about an inch or so.

The stock 4 cylinder k member can also be used but is more work with having to unbolt all the stuff and swap it over.

When I say wider remember that a wider track width is better for stability...the front wheels moving forward helps with caster and vehicle control.
Sounds good I will take note of that when I take it to the shop. Appreciate the help

Prabh114

May 28, 2020
Vancouver CANADA
SN95 dashes can be made to fit and look pretty cool but not plug and play. . The front seats bolt right in. Back seats need some massaging. As mentioned above, pretty much swap over the entire drivetrain, suspension, brakes..
Yes, that wouldn’t be a problem I’m only doing drivetrain the rest I already have fitted