2.3 turbos got no sac

Jun 20, 2005
i realize they arent the fastest cars in the world, but mine had been sitting for a while and i just recently got her running. ive done the oil, air filter, belts fuel filter etc. and im doing the o2 sensor and cleaning up some of the wiring and hoses. everything seems to be in good order but when i test drove it today it seems to be lagging real bad. im going to be hooking up a vacuum gauge to check and see if the turbo is doing its job, but im wondering if it could be maf related. since it sat for a while and i squirals living in the intake, the maf could be a bit dirty. it would explain the unsteady idle, but would it really make the car slow as a dump truck? thanks for any input.

i may also test the compression, but the motor had been rebuilt within the last 5 years and there are no oil/coolant leaks at the head gasket so im hoping the compression is within specs. the timing may be off also, how should i go about getting the crank pulley off to check it at tdc? ive only done it with the engine out which you can pry a screw driver against the flywheel to stop it from turning. thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

I actually bsed the maf from a 94 taurus into my stang and it made it run better (mostly due to the slightly lower restriction setup). So I would imagine a malfunctioning one could cause power loss. After all, every component in the fuel system is vital. Everytime I changed one out, things got better. It's just too bad the wiring gave out before I could fix the real problem.
p.s., I bet your dump truck still could have out run my stallion, so don't powt too much if you can't get it pumping more.

2.3 Turbo engines don't have a MAF, they have a VAM...two completely different air meters.

If it's dog slow, it's probably not building any boost...of course, remember that a stock 84 GT only runs 10psi, is non-intercooled, and only makes 145hp...probably a mid-high 16 second car in stock form.

oh a vam, right. yeah ive got a boost gauge to hook up to it but my alternator went and my brake lines are leaking so itll be a couple days before i can check the boost. i wasnt driving it too hard either, so i supposes its just the fact that i went from a sc v8 to a turbo 4.