2.3l Na To Turbo Build??

Adam taggart

Dec 9, 2017
I know it usually more expensive and I've been reading articles about this all day. I know there is even a similar write up on this but it's not very clear.

I have a 92 2.3l 8 plug head auto trans .I also have a bunch of random turbo parts I could piece together to make a decent kit.. I know you need the lb2 or lb3, the vane air meter and injectors. Does anyone have the ecu wiring for this and have actually done it?

Is there a tunable chip out there for the stock ecu? I don't want to chuck money for a stand alone.
I'm on the east coast and any part for turbo mustang, tbird, merkeur is unheard of over hear. And I can't find ecu's online what so ever.

Let me know if you can help.

• Sponsors (?)

It can be done but it's not really worth all the effort on stock internals. Without forged pistons you're limited to 10 psi, which sounds good, but the factory turbo engines ran 15 psi on 93 octane and made 200 hp. So, on 10 psi you'd be looking at maybe 150 hp at best, and that's running on the borderline of what the stock cast pistons can handle. Any detonation and they will be toast. Just FYI.

I know it can be done and if be swapping in New forged piston, I'm hoping for a full write up on a lb2 or lb3 ecu conversion. And how they wide the vane meter and act manifold sensor into it

If it were me, I'd dump the dual plug head DIS motor and find a 2.3 turbo motor. They're out there. Here's one. $500 shipped to your door. Also, check junkyards, www.turboford.org and www.turbotbird.com. As stated, it's not worth the effort. It's better to have a real turbo motor with the right pistons, valves and all the associated hardware that goes with it. Also, the A4LD auto doesn't hold up for long. Much better off going with a T5 that can still be found for $200. Then, you wouldn't need the auto ECU. You could go with the more aggressive LA3 computer. Here's a good deal on one.................
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-LA3-F...r4ti-SVO-Thunderbird-/282767871722?rmvSB=true

VAM's are easy to find...........heck, I've got a spare one along with a manual Mustang pedal assembly. Wiring changes are simple. Here's a good write-up.............

http://www.stinger-performance.com/turboswap.html