2.3L shifter working with aod transmission?

toolapcfan

Jun 3, 2003
I've recently done a 4cyl to v8 conversion on my 91 mustang lx. I've decided to go with an AOD transmission. What do i need to get my 4 cylinder mustang shifter to work with v8 aod? I'm aware that the 2.3l mustang's floor shifter has 7 detentes and an aod has 6 detentes, i really wouldnt care having to put my shifter in 2 before it would go. I really just need to know what shifter arm i am going to need to have to make it be the correct length from the aod to the floor shifter?

• Sponsors (?)

It's my understanding the 2.3 shifter will not work...that it has 1,2,D,OD etc vs. the AOD shifter is only 1,D,OD etc.

You could get a hammer shifter like I did :)

just wondering...if you did this swap; did you have a brown plug about 15 inches from your 60 pin plug in your engine harness but inside the firewall? It would plug in just above the computer in the kickpanel area? ...my 93 engine harness has this plug...and I don't have place that it plugs into on the 2.3 dash harness...

sorry to hijack this thread, but i believe the brown plug is on the drivers side??? idk maybe a picture would help. but when you mix up years, weird things happen. you have to get a 5.0 harness from the SAME YEAR car so it will work without a lot of head scratching.

thats not entirely accurate there superhuman, not all 5.0 aod's were cable operated, and aod's just didnt come in mustangs, now my aod came out of a crown vic with a console shifter and it was an arm, therefore indicating they are not cable operated. See the easy fix to my situation is lengthening the arm i have, but i don't want to do that. I just needed to know of a car or anything that had an aod in it with a floor shifter, and see if the arm would would be long enough for my application.

i would suggest a mid-70s or early 80s ford with floor shifter, like a mustang, cougar, fairlane? or something similar, with a 302 or maybe a 351 and a c4. you could also try an aerostar or ranger - they have the 2.3 style tranny, but the rod might be longer...