2 95GT's: 2 broken sway bars

Scott_95GT

Oct 8, 2004
Sacramento
I'm going down the road day before yesterday, and I started hearing a fermiliar noise. Clang! clang! As if I had pots and pans in my trunk. Jacked up the car find my broken rear sway bar, as expected. This happened to my last 95GT which I had two years ago. I don't mind buying a new one because a good aftermarket one is only 100 bucks, and it helps a lot. But man, 2 broken rear sway bars within the first two months of each 95 gt I have had? How many of u guys have had this happen? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

baglock1 said:
Hmmm, and I just happen to have an intact stocker in the garage if anyone's interested.
Dan - you understand more about suspension than most people on this board. Maybe you could explain why it seems that the SN-95 platform has such a problem consuming rear sway bars?

YoUr SiG sTiLl BaGgZ mE uP yO!

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Dan - you understand more about suspension than most people on this board. Maybe you could explain why it seems that the SN-95 platform has such a problem consuming rear sway bars?

The problem is in how the LCAs mount. Instead of attaching to the axle and chassis (or linked directly to them via stable suspension components such as in use in formula cars) like a good setup should, they mount to diverging control arms that are linked to a laterally unstable axle. Hmmm, allright, how about in English?

The LCAs are not parallel with each other. So in a turn, the distance between the control arms is trying to change and that places stress on the sway bar. When you couple this with an axle that has been known to have up to 2" of lateral movement, even more stress is introduced as the angles between the LCAs is becoming even more extreme. A lateral control device (such as a panhard bar or watts link) will help quite abit, but you're still left with the problem of diverging control arms.

If you'll notice, these stock sway bars always break at one of the rear bolt holes to the LCAs (I've never seen a failure at another place and wrecks don't count ;)). This is where the majority of stress is placed as that's where the most leverage is placed on the sway bar.

One of these days, I need to educate myself on computer animation and modeling. A view of all of this in action would make it infinitely easier to understand. If there's still some confusion about it, I'll make up some sketches in paint that better illustrate the issues.

Joes95GT said:
YoUr SiG sTiLl BaGgZ mE uP yO!

lol. It struck me as funny that RC had the mention of Slow5.0 in his sig when there were so many other people that had even worse grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc and no excuse for it (like being from Bosnia). I figured I'd make a comment about it.

And fwiw, I'm not a English 101 Nazi, and could care less about the few accidently fat fingerings or someone who got typing too fast and missed "there" vs "they're". It's the habitual offenders with 7-8 screw-ups in each sentence that irk me. I usually just quit reading and move on to the next post. I mean, is it really too difficult to end a sentence with a period and start the next line with a capital letter?

baglock1 said:
The problem is in how the LCAs mount. Instead of attaching to the axle and chassis (or linked directly to them via stable suspension components such as in use in formula cars) like a good setup should, they mount to diverging control arms that are linked to a laterally unstable axle. Hmmm, allright, how about in English?

The LCAs are not parallel with each other. So in a turn, the distance between the control arms is trying to change and that places stress on the sway bar. When you couple this with an axle that has been known to have up to 2" of lateral movement, even more stress is introduced as the angles between the LCAs is becoming even more extreme. A lateral control device (such as a panhard bar or watts link) will help quite abit, but you're still left with the problem of diverging control arms.

If you'll notice, these stock sway bars always break at one of the rear bolt holes to the LCAs (I've never seen a failure at another place and wrecks don't count ;)). This is where the majority of stress is placed as that's where the most leverage is placed on the sway bar.

One of these days, I need to educate myself on computer animation and modeling. A view of all of this in action would make it infinitely easier to understand. If there's still some confusion about it, I'll make up some sketches in paint that better illustrate the issues.
Once again, I'm impressed. I understand everything, and it actually makes sense after you explained it. After I read the first few sentences, I caught myself staring at the computer catching flies because I didn't understand what you mean. I then saw that you were going to break it down into common-folk terms, and I snapped back into it. :D Thank you for that explaination.

baglock1 said:
lol. It struck me as funny that RC had the mention of Slow5.0 in his sig when there were so many other people that had even worse grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc and no excuse for it (like being from Bosnia). I figured I'd make a comment about it.

And fwiw, I'm not a English 101 Nazi, and could care less about the few accidently fat fingerings or someone who got typing too fast and missed "there" vs "they're". It's the habitual offenders with 7-8 screw-ups in each sentence that irk me. I usually just quit reading and move on to the next post. I mean, is it really too difficult to end a sentence with a period and start the next line with a capital letter?
Same here. I don't even care about the capital letters (it's just a habit of mine to use capitals from writing/typing so many damn papers). I just like thoughts to be separated. Oh, and I do find humor in the way some people spell certain things - witch and which is the only one that comes to mind right now. :rlaugh:

Joe

i bought my car and the front sway bar was missing the drivers side bolt. didn't think anything of it so i bought a new one. TODAY, I hear clanking so i'm going to my dad's work to jack it up tomorrow to see what's up

u konw if that 'steeda heavy duty' one your talking about would work well?