2" Drop spindles

dmoody

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
What is the difference between all the different mii drop spindles being offered? I've noticed the cheapest set ($100) doesn't mention being forged. The most expensive set is Heidt's ($300) and it mentions being forged and retaining stock geometry. However there is a drop spindle that is the same as Heidt's according to the description but costs a lot less ($180). What am I to believe and which one should I buy? Anybody have any experience?

Thanks guys,
david

• Sponsors (?)

I checked out a set at a local Hot Rod shop a while back.

They were inexpensive, looked like they were cast, and the machine work sucked, The machined surfaces were ripped.

I'm not sure if a cast part of a material strong enough for me to trust my life to is going to be had for $100. Many "Hot Rods" can get away with cheap parts because many don't have much mass over the front end, they aren't driven much and when they are driven they are babied.

I would be inclined to trust Heidts. I think the part would be less likely to fail and if it did you would be able to find Heidts, unlike those other guys who would roll up the shop and move to the next town.

Drop spindles all together are a bad idea, like Mark said about the quality it's 95% true for every set on the market.

Another thing you have to worry about drop spindles is that you need to stiffen up your suspension since you have less travel from the tire to the fender well, and well stock suspension is as soft as it can be and so you should look into a coil-over kit which would stiffen up alot but maintain ride height.

Thanks Mark, that was some good advice. In my subconcious debris, I was thinking exactly what you thought but didn't want to acknowledge it due to the price difference.

Drop spindles all together are a bad idea, like Mark
said about the quality it's 95% true for every set on the market.

Have you bought a lot of drop spindles or dealt with some of the different vendors? I'm just curious about other people's experiences with these parts/vendors.

Another thing you have to worry about drop spindles is that you need to stiffen up your suspension since you have less travel from the tire to the fender well

If the rim/tire isn't correct for the car then I could see this being an issue.

so you should look into a coil-over kit which would stiffen up alot but maintain ride height.

Coil-over kits, air bags, etc are big money and just don't fit my ideals at this point in my life. I'm still chewing on the idea of dropping $300 for spindles... it isn't easy to swallow.

david

Drop spindles

I bough a set of drop spindles off of Ebay for something around $150 and they claimed they were forged. I couldn't tell by looking at them. They have been on the car for over a year. Its a daily driver and I haven't had any problems. It's a four banger car, with 17" wheels and tires. I have the stock springs and haven't had any bottoming out issues. I do drive with an eye out for pot holes and dips, having had numerous lowered VW's. I go up and over a twisty road as soon as I leave my house and I load them suspension pretty hard daily. With the V8 sway bars front and rear, big tires it corners very well.

I can not back my claim with proof. I almost found the end of the internet trying:D
I phoned heidts and they could not tell me what a stock Mustang II spindle was made out of! (I sence a cover up). Some sources say "some" original Ford Mustang II spindles were cast with a forged bearing surface pressed in.

I feel if you buy cast spindles for $39.99 off of E-bay they will likely fail and kill you. I would imagine that Brand name cast spindles are very safe, because no one likes law suits! I read somewhere that II spindles were not forged, I wish I could remember where.......The Jury is still out. Does anyone have a Ford engineer or metalergist friend??:shrug:

Knowing how brittle cast parts can be... I'd be surprised if the spindle on Mustang II's is cast. I think the source you quoted talking about a forged bearing surface only is probably correct. I'm doubtful Ford or any other manufacturer forges the whole assembly.

As for brand making much of a difference... I don't feel it would on "cheap" spindles. I think there are maybe two or three different manufacturer's of Mustang II spindles out there total. I couldn't find Wilwood's spindle being sold anywhere... additionally it would be really expensive since it uses a bolt on steering arm.

d

I am a metallurgist (actually my degree is Materials Engineering, which covers metals, polymers, composites and ceramics). A cast spindle will have a parting line from the mold halves. A forged spindle would be hot forged to near final shape then be finish machined or ground. The spindle material is probably forged or cast steel and not cast iron. Cast iron is brittle due to the high carbon content (app. 2 to 3.5%), while cast steel is ductile (app. 0.2 to 0.4% carbon). If someone has an OEM spindle they can send to me, I will cut it, polish and etch to examine the microstructure, and tell you what it is. I could run chemistry on it to confirm the type of steel used, but that costs about $50.