2 Ohm 6x8's

Heratik

Jul 29, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
I've been agonizing over the selection of the full range drivers that I am going to get for my Mustang. I'm going to replace my entire system from the head unit down to the wiring and I have everything pretty much selected except full range drivers.

I really like the Infinity KAPPA680.7CS for the fronts and Infinity KAPPA682.7CF for the rears. But I only know the very basics of speaker wiring and I am concerned that they are rated at 2 ohm. The Alpine MRP-F450 that I am going to get is going to put out 140 watts rms per channel at 2 ohm. That is 40 or 50 watts higher then the stated RMS for those speakers.

I know that it is possible to wire they speakers in a series to get a 4 ohm load. But I always thought that was something that was typically reserved for subs and not full range drivers. It seams to me I'd be running the amp in a 2 channel configuration in that instance. And I would loose my ability to adjust the balance or fade depending on how they are wired.

If there are any other 6x8/5x7's that you guys recommend in the Kappa price range please let me know. I'd appreciate any help or recommendations you can supply to this car audio n00b.

• Sponsors (?)

i have jl audio xr 5x7s all the way around and each of them run at 4 ohm. the fronts are xr 2 way components and the rears are xr coaxials. i love them! i believe the xr speakers are around that price range. my opinion is quite biased though as i am running all jl audio amps and speakers. in your situation i think the kappa's are designed to run with infinity amps that run at 2 ohm. thats the only reason why i would think that infinity did that so you would buy their amps to match up with the speakers. so your options would be to go with speakers that run at 4 ohm, or to find a full range amp that runs at 2 ohms for each channel.

i hope that helps!

edit: i read the description and infinity designed the speaker to use the full potential of most amps made today. since most amps have 2 or more ratings. one that runs at 4 ohm and one that runs at 2 ohm. usually 2 ohm extracts more power. i guess another option for you would be to find a cheaper, less powerful amp that runs around 100 watts at 2 ohm.

That is 40 or 50 watts higher then the stated RMS for those speakers.
Having more power from your amp than the speaker rating is o.k. An under powered amp will clip or distort earlier which is bad power than can damage speakers. Not saying that you can't blow the speakers with an amp that has more power. But that is up to you using your common sense with the volume control. Basically, having ample power (head room it is called) is better that cranking up an under powered amp into higher rated speakers.

I've been agonizing over the selection of the full range drivers that I am going to get for my Mustang. I'm going to replace my entire system from the head unit down to the wiring and I have everything pretty much selected except full range drivers.

I really like the Infinity KAPPA680.7CS for the fronts and Infinity KAPPA682.7CF for the rears. But I only know the very basics of speaker wiring and I am concerned that they are rated at 2 ohm. The Alpine MRP-F450 that I am going to get is going to put out 140 watts rms per channel at 2 ohm. That is 40 or 50 watts higher then the stated RMS for those speakers.

I know that it is possible to wire they speakers in a series to get a 4 ohm load. But I always thought that was something that was typically reserved for subs and not full range drivers. It seams to me I'd be running the amp in a 2 channel configuration in that instance. And I would loose my ability to adjust the balance or fade depending on how they are wired.

If there are any other 6x8/5x7's that you guys recommend in the Kappa price range please let me know. I'd appreciate any help or recommendations you can supply to this car audio n00b.

There is nothing to worry about.. Just run them..****.. I have two pair of Kappa 5x7's in one of my storage sheds, lol.. I would look into Memphis Car Audio's M class 5x7's. After owning a set you will never want to buy anything else..