2 other minor problems with my 97 cobra

richierich09

May 23, 2006
Love this site. I got my main problem fixed and was wondering if you guys can shed some light on these 2 minor (or I think) ones:

problem #1

When I turn on my car, it makes a humming sound. It fades every now and then but its there about 80% of the time. I was told its the power steering but it has power steering fliud. The sound is there when I drive and while its on idle. Someone also suggested its the power steering pump. What do you guys think?

problem # 2

My car makes rattling noise when I hit bumps or pot holes. Small bumps as well. I have been having this issue for like 2 years. I thought it was the brakes because when I hit the brakes the sound is minimized/gone. SO I change the brakes and add alot of that brake grease on all the contact points where the caliper sits on the footing. (hope that makes sense). The noise is minimized but it comes back. Like I said I have been messing with it forever. I recently noticed my right front tire was wearing away on the inside of the tire. So I change the shocks and thought it all goes back to my original noise. Well my noise is still there and I had to replace the tire. So anyone else had a problem with a ratteling noise? Sounds like metal piece is loose or hitting something? Its pretty obvious noise

thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

My 97 makes that same kinda noise but its more like a whine/hum type of sound. Kinda hard to explain. I was also told this was the power steering pump. And also the other day I noticed that the pulley where the pump is located is kinda wobbly. My car rattles over bumps also, but I think all stangs with over 75,000 miles have rattle issues, especially when u stiffen up the ride or add a loud exhaust. How many miles does your car have? Mine has 94,000. My worst rattle issue sounds like its coming from the rear package tray, but I cant find it. My old 96 GT rattled also with 73,000, and even my girls 98 v6 rattles.