2000 cobra R Clone with a 94 cobra, Bad IDEA?

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
One of the coolest mustangs i have ever seen in person was a 2000 cobra R. Just so happens that i just bought a Red on black 94 cobra. I have been looking at the body kits lately. You can get the front bumper, the hood, rear wing, and the sidescoops and stuff + the wheels of coarse to make it look like a snl look like a cobra R.

Things you can't get are the headlights to look like a 2000+ cars, fenders, and rear bumper. (You can get aftermarket finders that might look cool, aftermarket smoked or black headlights, and im not really sure what to do about the rear bumper?)

Now this goes against everything i hate about people trying to duplicate cars they don't have, (ex. gt's trying to become cobra's) BUTTT, sence its not even the right generation of cars is it that bad? I mean if i saw a fox trying to look like a 95 cobra R i don't know if i would think badly of it. But i have seen fox's that try to look like 2000 cobra r's and i think they look kinda funny.

Sense its obvously not going to be the same as a 2000 cobra R will it offend people or will it be like a compliment?

What do you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think it'll look right, check out one of the websites that sell the kits, like cervinis or whatever, they should have pics

just get a Cobra R hood and a rear bumper that actually says cobra on it, and you should be set

1159page_01-1159page_04_cli.jpg

Wrong hood of coarse but i will see if i can find that. The scoops are wrong but i could live with them or they do sell the right ones.

I do beleive your right about the cobra being on the bumper would help.

look at some more pics of 94-98 cars w/ the cobra-r bumper... you'll see that the body lines dn't match. i love the look of the real cobra-r, and for a while ,wanted to do that to mine. i'd rather have clean lines, however, so i dumped the idea. if you don't care about lines not matching up, go for it. that's just me.

Jackie Chan said:
unless you need an assload of downforce, that wing is rice. the 95 R is a street rod looking car, the y2k is a track car, that splitter is not cool
Well trust me this car isn't going to be an all show and no go. Im looking for between 900-1100 horsepower to back up its looks. So any help i can get with traction is going to be a plus even at high speeds.

Actually looks are last. Virtually everything is going to be replaced and upgraded, tranny, motor, rear end, suspension, and some intererior (including a roll cage and seats) and then the cosmetic stage starts. The reason i like this kit so much is because the bumper will have enough of an opening for airflow for my intercooler. I just haven't decided on weather i want to go all out drag suspension and setup or mix it up with road coarse?

I've seen that body kit on an SN95 in person. It really doesn't look right to me. The front bumper is huge. It looks like a cattleguard and doesn't fit the front end well at all.

I say 98 Cobra or Cervinis Stalker front bumper cover, Saleen sideskirts, Saleen rear bumper cover and whatever wing floats your boat, I like the S281 or S351 (not the double stack). Top it off with a 98 Cobra hood and some 17" FR500 deep dishes then you're golden :D

Then I would do a DSG paintjob with Red racing stripes or visa versa :hail2:

The lines on the "New Edge" mustangs are exactly that, edgy. Our body styles are round and sort of bubbly. Most people say that mixing the two(like your thinking of doing) will clash and make the car look unorganized and out of place. I on the other hand think that if its done correctly, the mix would provide a good amount of contrast and look nice. You said people are against making a GT look like a Cobra and a Cobra like a Saleen or whatever the case may be but I think people are generally more against someone with a GT badging it as a Cobra and giving it off as sometihng it really isnt. Since your car is already a Cobra, the badges are already there and your good to go, just dont go to shows claiming its a Cobra R or what not. If I were in your shoes I would probably go ahead with the 2000 R theme but instead of the huge spoiler( which im not a fan of) I would go with something that still has the hard edgy lines but not as tall, maybe a custom version of the 2000 R one(cant be that hard to lower it with some work) or a Steeda Spoiler(also not a fan but it would compliment the rest of the body parts your adding). Then the cobra r rims, that cervinis front bumper and side skirts, some kind of side exhaust system, some color matched 03 cobra mirrors, smoked headlights and either the heat extractor hood(which is really edgy) or the 2000r hood(which is a mix of edgy and round). Dam I think I just planned out one of my dream cars! I dont know about the back bumper either though....you would have to get something back there because it would look empty without the exhaust pipes(you ARE doing side exhaust right??). Maybe a saleen bumper with the side vents bondoed?? Oh and post pics of the new cobra!

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Oh and post pics of the new cobra!

Actually i haven't even gotten to see it in person yet. I bought it on ebay and will be flying to PA to go pick it up this weekend. $89 a ticket :nice: ... The rental car cost me more then the plain ticket. But me, my girlfriend, and a good friend are going to make a weekend of it in philly, and harrisburg, and pittsburg. ROADTRIP!!!

And if do try to match it to the 2000 R, side exhuast is a MUST!!!

One of the sexiest 94-98 mustangs Ive ever seen was by a member here I think I even saved a picture of his car .

If and when I put body parts on my 94 the owner should be proud minus the cobra emblems mine will look like its twin in greeen and black

IMG_0074[1].jpg

Is that the same car? I seem to remember "the other one" having decals all over the fenders. :shrug:

I agree that, if you do it, you shoud DEFINITELY shorten the height of the wing .... and make it a little more rounded. A 96-98 Cobra rear bumper would be great.

The worst part, to me, is that front bumper. It makes me want to puke ..... whether I see it on an SN95 or the Edge. That piece at the very bottom sticks out so far, it looks like a bulldozer.

But to each his own. YOU do what YOU want .... & don't let anyone else's opinions get to you.

SeventyMach1 said:
The worst part, to me, is that front bumper. It makes me want to puke ..... whether I see it on an SN95 or the Edge. That piece at the very bottom sticks out so far, it looks like a bulldozer.

But to each his own. YOU do what YOU want .... & don't let anyone else's opinions get to you.
i agree 100% on both statements. my personal goal is stock cobra bumpers, saleen heat extractor hood, 281 spoiler, and a more subtle side skirt. i love the 00r, but the bodywork on any other car just seems out of place.
this is my wallpaper on my puter, and note the avatar.

View attachment 500794