2000 GT motor noisy in the mornings for brief period.

When I first start driving my car in the morning I can hear what sounds like lifters or something making a lot of racket whenever I go over around 2,000 rpms , the weird part is this noise stops after about 2-3 minutes of driving ..is this possibly an oil flow problem or any other ideas? The car has 60,000 miles and is all stock. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

what kind/weight oil are you running?

Ive only had the car for a month and havent had to add any oil to it yet (just checked it yesterday), so im not sure what its currently using. I bought the car from Carmax. Should I try having the oil changed with a specific kind/weight?

It doesnt really sound like ticking or pinging ... I suppose rattling is more accurate, it sounds sort of like a rapid hammering sound.

It doesnt really sound like ticking or pinging ... I suppose rattling is more accurate, it sounds sort of like a rapid hammering sound.

OK hammering is not a good sound. Especially if it's clearly loud. I would not drive the car until you can have it diagnosed. You may have a spun bearing, rod knock, or something serious. Unplug one COP at a time (part that goes over the spark plug). If the noise goes away, thats the cylinder causing problems. You should also check the engine oil pressure and do a leak down/compression test. If you oil pressure is low or erratic, you most likely have serious engine damage. A leak down/compression test will tell you how healthy the engine is. Just DO NOT drive that car until you or a mechanic have diagnosed the problem.

Wow, I just noticed you are in Clovis. Which part are you from? I might be able to help you out.

Ah thats cool do you work on Mustangs?, Im near Barstow & Willow , I have a 3 year warranty on the car which supposedly covers everything inside and out on the motor (minus the Clutch), Perhaps I should just take it to Ford and have them check it out? My default 30 day warranty with Carmax just ended so now with the extended warranty I can take it anywhere (i just have to pay $50,copay).

This hammering sound might be a bit of an exaggerated description but its the closest sound i can think of.. The car runs good and has a pretty good amount of power but your right I definitely want it checked out especially after reading your posts..

Ah thats cool do you work on Mustangs?, Im near Barstow & Willow , I have a 3 year warranty on the car which supposedly covers everything inside and out on the motor (minus the Clutch), Perhaps I should just take it to Ford and have them check it out? My default 30 day warranty with Carmax just ended so now with the extended warranty I can take it anywhere (i just have to pay $50,copay).

This hammering sound might be a bit of an exaggerated description but its the closest sound i can think of.. The car runs good and has a pretty good amount of power but your right I definitely want it checked out especially after reading your posts..

Yea you live like 10min from my house lol....I live near Willow/Copper. Anyway, you might want to take it to the dealership and have them scope it out. For $50 you can't really go wrong.

The sound is typical with higher mile mod motors, my wifes 02 does it in the AM but only for about 30 sec, I'm near Clovis and Alluvial. You can take it to Ford but they probably won't do anything but take your $50.

The sound is typical with higher mile mod motors, my wifes 02 does it in the AM but only for about 30 sec, I'm near Clovis and Alluvial. You can take it to Ford but they probably won't do anything but take your $50.

My 99 does this too but his discription is different than ours. Our cars have timing chain/guide wear.

Dunno what his problem is but if I were him I would change the oil and filter and see if it goes away. Use only the Motorcraft filters and I use the Motorcraft synthetic blend motor oil also.

Dunno what his problem is but if I were him I would change the oil and filter and see if it goes away. Use only the Motorcraft filters and I use the Motorcraft synthetic blend motor oil also.

Hm ya that's what I was thinking about doing and go from there , I doubt carmax used a motorcraft filter or oil, since the noise goes away after a few minutes I'm guessing its not something to serious (Hopefully). Ill report back once I change the oil/filter.

Thanks for the replies.

I did an "old school" flush on mine, I ran a quart of ATF in the engine for a few minutes at the last oil change...and that, along with switching to Castrol semi-synthetic, seems to have gotten rid of my noisy start-ups