2000 GT w/ 03 engine, t45 trans: WHICH CLUTCH?

OK guys sorry but I have been doing some searching all day and cant come u with a definitely answer. I have a 2000 GT which I just got, but it has an 03 engine in it, I know because the previous owner gave me the receipts for the parts/work/payment, I went to the shop and verified. Car still has the t45 trany. Needs new clutch but Im not sure whether to buy a 10.5" or 11" clutch. I am buying a NEW flywheel as well, OEM replacement ONLY NO ALUM. Please help me get/order the right parts as I will be ordering all the goods this week. The only other clutch besides and FRPP OEM replacement im considering is A Fidanza 1.0 or their 2.1 from AM

Clutch
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908282+4294840044+4294925134+115&autoview=sku
FLYWHEEL whats the deal with the tooth count and the SFI approved?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-6375-D46&autoview=sku

• Sponsors (?)

OK guys sorry but I have been doing some searching all day and cant come u with a definitely answer. I have a 2000 GT which I just got, but it has an 03 engine in it, I know because the previous owner gave me the receipts for the parts/work/payment, I went to the shop and verified. Car still has the t45 trany. Needs new clutch but Im not sure whether to buy a 10.5" or 11" clutch. I am buying a NEW flywheel as well, OEM replacement ONLY NO ALUM. Please help me get/order the right parts as I will be ordering all the goods this week. The only other clutch besides and FRPP OEM replacement im considering is A Fidanza 1.0 or their 2.1 from AM

I was in this situation a couple months ago. I have a 2001GT with a T45. The code on the door was the early code, I had a T45, and I even called the dealer with the Vin number. Everything said 10.5". So that is what I ordered. Got it all apart and what do I see??? An 11" clutch!!!:mad: Man, was I mad. So I returned the FMS to www.americanmuscle.com for a 20% restocking fee and 24 bucks shipping. So, instead of waiting 3 days for them to ship another I bought a stock replacement from a transmission shop. It's just a Valeo, just like the stock Ford clutch. I tell ya what. I was skeptical, but this thing grabs hard. I just went to the track and this clutch was excellent. It was 250 bucks, 50 more than the FMS 10.5", but it was well worth it IMO.

I was in this situation a couple months ago. I have a 2001GT with a T45. The code on the door was the early code, I had a T45, and I even called the dealer with the Vin number. Everything said 10.5". So that is what I ordered. Got it all apart and what do I see??? An 11" clutch!!!:mad: Man, was I mad. So I returned the FMS to www.americanmuscle.com for a 20% restocking fee and 24 bucks shipping. So, instead of waiting 3 days for them to ship another I bought a stock replacement from a transmission shop. It's just a Valeo, just like the stock Ford clutch. I tell ya what. I was skeptical, but this thing grabs hard. I just went to the track and this clutch was excellent. It was 250 bucks, 50 more than the FMS 10.5", but it was well worth it IMO.

yeah i have the stock replacement clutch, valeo, and it grabs great i havent had any problems with it yet but it only has about 4k miles on it, and it been through a few 3k rpm dumps and 1st and 2nd gear burnouts :nice:

My early 01 gt with a t45 also had a 11" clutch in it.Ford told me it needed a 10.5" but after I tore it down guess what was in it...so much for ford....:rlaugh:.I bought a Ram clutch from late model resto for $209,Heres the part number for it-
#Ram-88951,also has this number on it to, #79C.Hope this helps,maybe you can use these numbers to cross reference,but if you were to order this kit it does not include a pilot bearing but late model resto sells the Ford Racing one for about $10.

crap!! but whats the deal with the 10.5 or 11"...I mean from what I can understand from ur posts, the t45 will take either size correct? but I must purchase the corresponding size flywheel? Is this correct or is these something else to it? i just dont want to order parts and be SOL!, granted my situation is diff with my 2000 Having the 03 engine. IM guessing they left the original clutch and flywheel when they did this......Im also plannin on odering new flywheel bols, pressure plate bolts

I would take it all apart first, then order the parts. I know it sucks, but because I didn't want my car down for 2-3 days, I ordered before hand, got wrong parts, and it ended up costing me 55 bucks because of 20% restocking fee plus shipping. If I tore it down first, waited the 2-3 days, I would have saved 50 bucks. I wanted to do it in one day, but I couldn't and I screwed myself outta 55 bucks. I get really impatient when it comes to down time on my car, and I thought I was doing things right, and it ended up turning to crap.

+1,no way to know for sure until you tear it down and measure.If they kept the original flywheel from the 03 motor then it would be setup for a 3650 tranny,please correct me if im wrong but doesnt a 3650 use a 11".On my GT i originally tried to use a King Cobra clutch but they are 10.5",it wouldnt work.And its possible for it to take eother size but it depends on the diameter of the flywheel...a 10.5 will not bolt onto a 11" flywheel.

I found this on another site,but I dunno how true it is since 2 of us here have proven the t45 size wrong.:shrug:

Quote:

2001 - If your car is a 2001 model, you must check the vehicle transmission code to confirm which transmission and clutch size is in your vehicle. During this model year (from February, 2001) Ford began using the Tremec 3650 transmission and an 11" clutch in Mustang GT's and Bullitts. All of these cars built after February, 2001 should have a Tremec 3650 and an 11" clutch from the factory. The transmission code can be found on the Vehicle Certification (VC) label, located on the driver's side doorjamb. Item nine on the VC label, under the heading "TR", is the transmission code.

* If your car has a code "6", indicating a Borg Warner T-45 transmission, then choose one of the McLeod 10.5" clutch systems from the 1996-2001-1/2 listing in the application table below.
* If your car has a code "K", indicating a Tremec 3650 transmission, you may choose one of the McLeod 11" clutch systems from the 2001-1/2-2004 listing in the application table below.

+1,no way to know for sure until you tear it down and measure.If they kept the original flywheel from the 03 motor then it would be setup for a 3650 tranny,please correct me if im wrong but doesnt a 3650 use a 11".On my GT i originally tried to use a King Cobra clutch but they are 10.5",it wouldnt work.And its possible for it to take eother size but it depends on the diameter of the flywheel...a 10.5 will not bolt onto a 11" flywheel.

I found this on another site,but I dunno how true it is since 2 of us here have proven the t45 size wrong.:shrug:

Quote:

2001 - If your car is a 2001 model, you must check the vehicle transmission code to confirm which transmission and clutch size is in your vehicle. During this model year (from February, 2001) Ford began using the Tremec 3650 transmission and an 11" clutch in Mustang GT's and Bullitts. All of these cars built after February, 2001 should have a Tremec 3650 and an 11" clutch from the factory. The transmission code can be found on the Vehicle Certification (VC) label, located on the driver's side doorjamb. Item nine on the VC label, under the heading "TR", is the transmission code.

* If your car has a code "6", indicating a Borg Warner T-45 transmission, then choose one of the McLeod 10.5" clutch systems from the 1996-2001-1/2 listing in the application table below.
* If your car has a code "K", indicating a Tremec 3650 transmission, you may choose one of the McLeod 11" clutch systems from the 2001-1/2-2004 listing in the application table below.

Well thats exactly my point, some of you guys with the t45 said, your cars had 11 clutch, im assuming with an 11" flywheel. Like I said in my first post, I plan on ordering both a new clutch and flywheel, right now Im leaning towards making both parts 10.5" with a 6 bolt flywheel. IM not worried the least bit about whats in there right now, as it will all go in the garbage, cept for the tranny of course. I will be getting a new clutch and a new flywheel......So from the comments about some of the 2001s having t45 and 11" clutch/flywheels, AM I right in assuming that I can purchase either size as long as I get the matching flywheel?

here are the things u need to check for......

1. 6 or 8 bolt crank...Windsors(99-00) lower ends have a 8 bolt, Romeos(01-04) have a 6-bolt

2. Input shaft on the transmission... Since its a t-45 it should have a 10 spline input shaft.... there is an option for 26 spline but i don't believe any of the t-45 transmissions came with that option.

3. either have the flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop or purchase a new one that matches the CRANK (ie.. 6 or 8 bolt)

4. Recommend changing the Throwout bearing(Ford TOB are the best out there) as well as replacing pilot bearing....

Thats all u should need...

here are the things u need to check for......

1. 6 or 8 bolt crank...Windsors(99-00) lower ends have a 8 bolt, Romeos(01-04) have a 6-bolt

2. Input shaft on the transmission... Since its a t-45 it should have a 10 spline input shaft.... there is an option for 26 spline but i don't believe any of the t-45 transmissions came with that option.

3. either have the flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop or purchase a new one that matches the CRANK (ie.. 6 or 8 bolt)

4. Recommend changing the Throwout bearing(Ford TOB are the best out there) as well as replacing pilot bearing....

Thats all u should need...

+1.Thats exactly what I was gonna say,but you beat me to it.Only thing about the spline you would need to know is since the motor has been changed...did he keep the stock tranny or did he put in a rebuilt one,If he did the rebuilt way he may have gone with a 26 spline for more beefiness(SP).Im betting if he kept the stock tranny then its prob a 10spline with 11" and 6 bolt.:shrug:Also go with a ford pilot bearing,the others arnt that good...LMR says that they get alot of people complaing of the other brand pilot and TOB, but seldom hear any bad on the Ford brands and from experience i can also confirm this.In 06 I had to replace the clutch,but in this last march i needed a tranny rebuild and so I went ahead and replaced the clutch,but on the non ford pilot and TOB from the 06 install was already going bad.

If I was in your situation I would tear it down and get all the info you can from looking at your parts now,I have gone the other route before and it always has cost me more $$$$ that way.

well honestly I cant really tear the car apart and then order the parts, there must be a sure fire way to tell, I hope, my last resort is to just walk into the local ford dealer and talk to one of the techs, but Im sure I can get the answer from here.

So I have identified the flywheel I will be buying (6 bolt it says it will work with both a 10.5 or 11 clutch)
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...l-sohc-nodular-iron-flywheel6-bolt-crank.html
Now for the clutch I think I will get the King Cobra clutch if it will bolt up to my 03 engine/ t45 tranny? Can anyone confirm 100% wether this will work, or must I ABSOLUTELY PURCHASE an 11" clutch for my 03 egine?

I hope you dont fully relay on Ford,they are the ones the messed me up on the parts in the first place on my GT.They also told me that my early 01 gt had a 3650 and that was after looking at the door jamb code...:mad:And the only way to find out for sure on the flywheel(6 or 8 bolt) would be to tear down since it seems not all are the same for the t45's,or does the block have the vin# stamped somewheres...I dont think they do but im not sure.Now as for my gt it had to have an 11" clutch and the King Cobra was a 10.5",the bolt pattern for presure plate to blot to the flywheel was completly wrong.But if the description from Lethal is correct about 10.5 or11" then I dont see why that wouldnt work other than the crank bolt pattern.GL,let us know how it goes.

BTW I just noticed your in Houston,Im in College Station.

The quote above, about the trans code on the door stands true, but my car had the 11", even through everything pointed to having a 10.5". I think someone upgraded within the last 7 years before I got it.

The quote above, about the trans code on the door stands true, but my car had the 11", even through everything pointed to having a 10.5". I think someone upgraded within the last 7 years before I got it.

I dunno about the upgrade part.I bought my 01 in May of 03 from Ford.It had belonged to one of the owners of the dealership...hence why I only payed 14k for it in 03.He gave me every work order and sale reciepe of anything ever done,car had less than 20k miles.The door jamb code says it should have been an 10.5,but it was an 11"....:shrug:No telling what ford was doing at the time.:rlaugh: