2000 Manual Mustang GT refuses to run right

JtPeve17

Nov 26, 2018
Missouri
I recently purchased a 2000 mustang GT from a police auto auction here in Kansas City. After the auction was over I went and tried to start the car, and it just continuously rolled over and refused to start. I looked at the gas gauge, and it showed it was dry bones empty. Now keeping mind the car was an arrest with keys so it had to of been running and driving when the previous owner got arrested. I went to the gas station and filled up a 5 gallon gas jug and returned to the car. I started pouring and only got 1/4 of the way through the jug before the car wouldn't take in any more gas. So it turned out the car was full, and I just topped it off. I tried to start the car again, and got nothing. So i don't know if the fuel gauge not working has something to do with it, but it still shows its empty. After that I unbolted the BBK cold air intake the car had on it from the throttle body, filled a spray can cap with gas, and dumped it into the throttle body. I bolted it all back up, and attempted to start the car and it fired up to my surprise. The car idled extremely rough. But after a minute or 2 it started to idle normally. But every once in a while it would start idling extremely rough for about 20 seconds. I got in and tried to press the gas and I couldnt even hardly press the peddle in an inch without having the car stall and try to die. But if you press the pedal in just barely, the car will very slowly rev up to 5-6k rpm. I notied the car also had BBK exhaust manifolds, and flowmaster pipes and tips leading all the way through off of the manifolds. I havent really inspected the car in full detail yet, but I know O2 sensors, and mass air sensors play a key roles in the cars performance. Anyways, i drove the car home and it was a complete sh*t show. I couldnt hardly get the car past 20 mph on the road. And I couldn't only barely press the gas pedal in otherwise the car would completely stall, and want to die. I eventually got onto the highway and got up to 55 mph after about 4 minutes, and it was just sputtering like hell. I couldnt go past 3rd gear or the car would just stall out with any pressure on the gas pedal. And it barely made it up hills. The worst part was the car is a stick. So trying to drive stick with a car that barely wants to stay about 1500 rpms is hell. After the car died 5 times and each time me having to pull over, unbolt the cold air intake from the throttle body, fill up the cap with gas and dump it into the intake, put it all back together and hope the car starts again, I eventually made it home. I noticed in the passenger floor board that there was an intake piece with a mass air sensor on it. So I'm thinking they might of changed that and put the wrong year mass air sensor on there. We have 9 mustangs in general right now. 3 New Edges, 3 SN95's, and 3 Fox Bodys. So we are no strangers to mustangs. My brother was having a top end/speed bogging issue on his SN95 GT, and it turned out to be a mass air sensor. Thats why im mentioning this. Probably not gonna solve it, but its worth a shot. But other than that, I noticed a coil pack wasn't tightened down all the way, and water was coming out of the exhaust. So might be a blown head gasket. I just need to make a list of things that might be the problem for all of this, and things i need to check. Otherwise over winter break I'm just going to do a motor swap. I just need a list of things to check.

Attachments

• IMG953496.jpg
    IMG953496.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG953497.jpg
    IMG953497.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Sponsors (?)