2000 merc

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, they’re a good car, although doing any work to them is a mechanics nightmare. They use the same 2.5L Duratec engine that’s found in the Contour/Mystic. They’re rated at about 170hp and move pretty well after 3000rpm, but they’re pretty dead from a start. You can work them a little….I’m not sure exactly what involved, but the SVT Contours were pushing somewhere in the 190hp range. Baring that, you can opt for the installation of a supercharger, which I think, boost them up around 260hp? I hope your friend isn’t a relatively big guy, because they’re pretty small inside and the seats feel like they’re filled with cement. All and all, they’re a nice little car, but if you’re buddy starts talking about doing any mods to it, he’s probably going to get hassled by any real gear-head and told he shouldn’t have bought a girl’s car.:D

My parents have a Mercury Mystique with the 2.5 v6 in it and it goes pretty good. It also has 178,000 miles on it and runs like brand new, no oil burning or leaking. It should be a reliable car, but i'm not sure about any mods. SVT contours were 200 hp FWIW.

I've heard the engines are reliable. But I'm still a fan of the Ford Probe GT(93-97). My dad has a '93 that I used to drive back in highschool and that was a fun car to drive and pretty quick. Also dead reliable. I was never a huge fan of the FWD Cougars, I drove one a few times and the steering felt kinda wierd and it had tons of blindspots. Tell your buddy to not even think about moddin one cause that'll truly be a money pit and not to mention tryin to work in that cramped engine bay is a major PITA.