2000 Mustang GT Exhaust Question?

2ValveGuy

Dec 26, 2019
San Diego
Hello Everyone; I’m new to Stangnet. I have a 2000 Mustang Gt 2 Valve. I have a exhaust question. Let me start by saying I currently live in California. I have JBA Shorty Headers with a Borla Stinger Catback. Sound is still to restrictive. Would love to put a mid pipe or long tubes but will fail smog if I do so. I was debating and wondering if I can get the opinions from you all with regards to upgrading to Dougs Headers Electric cut outs to be installed after Catalytic Converters or should I just upgrade to the Borla ATAK Catbacks. Any one of you have any one of these set ups with shorty headers and getting good sound? I was leaning towards the Borla Ataks but have been hearing comments that Ataks and Stingers don’t have too much of a difference in sound with shorty headers and stock mid pipe. Any recommendations would really be appreciated.

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

flstang65

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
SE Georgia
mid pipes arent hard to change. You can run around with a mid pipe and no cats and swap out to the factory one for your emisison testing. just have a separate tune for each pipe. Or, just move out of CA? lol

silversmith82

May 2, 2005
Or just worry about it sounding good vs sounding like you are in an old lifted pickup with a single cherry bomb wearing white oakleys a wife beater and a dip of mint skoal in your mouth with cutouts...

The exhaust you have now is fine, if you want to swap out to a catted mid pipe or even an offroad pipe then go for it, its a 30 minute job to swap the stock pipe back in for emissions day.

In my experience, the loudest most obnoxious sounding street cars are the slowest ones 90% of the time.

MineralMan

May 17, 2005
San Diego, CA
www.michaelbrianstudios.com
I also live in California and have to deal with being smog compliant with my cars.

I had Borla Stingers on my '01 Mustang GT convertible, with the factory headers and the factory catt'd H-pipe. I think that it sounded amazing. Very deep rumble, all the way through the rev range.
I have Borla ATAK on my 2006 Magnum SRT8, with the factory headers and factory cats. Yes, they are different engines, but I think that the sound should be comparable (i.e. the ATAK on the 4.6L Mustang). The ATAK is definitely more aggressive sounding. Under full load/throttle, it sounds great until about 3500/4000 rpm. In the higher RPM range it actually turns to more of a scream than a rumble. I couldn't find a Stinger for my Magnum, the ATAK was the only one available. I would rather have the Stinger on my Magnum than the ATAK.

For my '01 Bullitt, I am going with the Stinger again.

Your JBA shorties I believe are smog legal in CA. The only change you could do is to swap out for a smog legal midpipe. Magnaflow sells a 50-state legal catt'd X-pipe. It runs around $1400. However, Rock Auto sells a 50-state legal catt'd X-pipe from a company called Bosal. It's only $650 (out of stock right now). https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10313484&cc=1385636&jsn=318

I bought this for my '01 Bullitt. Turns out, it's the same actual part as the Magnaflow, for a lot cheaper. Here are the parts that I got in that were "Bosal". Everything is branded Magnaflow.

i-7b7qGFt-L.jpg

i-zkxph7f-L.jpg

i-tZ3Q5fp-L.jpg

OneSick99GT

Nov 20, 2018
Dayton, Ohio
www.youtube.com
U
Or just worry about it sounding good vs sounding like you are in an old lifted pickup with a single cherry bomb wearing white oakleys a wife beater and a dip of mint skoal in your mouth with cutouts...

The exhaust you have now is fine, if you want to swap out to a catted mid pipe or even an offroad pipe then go for it, its a 30 minute job to swap the stock pipe back in for emissions day.

In my experience, the loudest most obnoxious sounding street cars are the slowest ones 90% of the time.

I agree most sound like crap. But not when its built. this is my GT with closed and open headers. QTP exhaust cutouts.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzclccXlUzk&t=40s