2000 Mustang Gt Hard Starts

ruger281

Jul 29, 2012
Raleigh, NC
sup guys...i have a 2000 mustang gt, auto i just recently purchased...when its warmed up, it seems to start hard..(long crank time, then stumbles to idle and sometimes stalls) after the rough starts it runs great! no MIL (just the ones for rear o2 sensors because of the OR-H)...when its cold it still cranks forever but fires-up smooth. so far i have replaced the alternator because someone told me it was a common problem in these stangs causing a AC spike? anyway, it did not help. It feels like it needs a fuel pressure regulator but i understand these cars do not have them. I inspected the plug of my fuel rail pressure sensor and saw some corrosion on the plug though i figured it would throw a MIL if it was not connected....and inspected the ground in the trunk near the two fuel related modules. what should i do next?

• Sponsors (?)

ok i will replace them, just thought they would throw a miss-fire code if that was the problem and the previous owner said they do not need to be changed. I got a new symptom today, it "breaks up" above 3500 rpm...really stops pulling. feels like a plugged cat, though i do not have cats (MAC OR-H). still no MIL just (P0141, P0161) which are for rear o2 sensors

I think the issue if fuel related, not spark related. Checking the fuel pressure with a guage and the fuel system with a scan tool is going to pinpoint the fuel system issue. Try turning the key to run, wait several seconds for the system to pressurize then attempt to start. My car does this sometimes also.

dont have a fuel pressure guage available right now but ill get one this weekend, yeah i have tried cycling the fuel pump and it starts right away, but sometimes still stalls....but this deff takes care of the long starts. Thats why i thought it was a fuel pressure regulator...but it doesnt have one...im confused. is there a check valve?

Yes it is called PPRV and it is in the tank. There are several fuel components that could be causing it might be worth paying the diagnostic fee to have the scan tool done at the stealership to quickly diagnose...

ok, well its going to the shop tomorrow to have an exhaust leak repaired, ill run it by the stealership after if i have time. I have just heard so many horror stories though...this ford dealership may blame it on my mods. but we shall see. so they have diagnostic tools to monitor fuel pressure while running and leak down?

At the stealership right now, I got the speach about how cars are not meant to be modified and tgey cannot gaurantee their diagnosis.....jeez it just has bolt-ons, the fuel system has been completely unaltered

got the word today from Ford, the fuel pump module needs to be replaced and they also reported that my waterpump is seeping. They say this is causing all my problems, so i ordered a Walbro oem replacement module #tu228. Replacing it Sat.

$92.50 for the diagnosis....and it took 2 hours, the tech actually dropped my tank to inspect the fuel lines and everything. Money well spent in my opinion. yeah, the service chick gave me the lecture but the tech was cool, we talked about the mods for a while and gave me alot of good info

Sounds like a good opportunity to get a high volume fuel pump to me. That's not something one needs to tune for is it?
yeah if you are going to go with nitrous or forced induction, now is your time. No tune needed. Walbro makes a nice high performance oem style fuel pump module from what i hear...i just ordered the oem one though

need help here please....i replaced the fuel pump and that took care of the hard-starts....fires right up now. It still idles rough, stalls at stop lights sometimes (idles really low 600rpm when in drive), has wandering idle at times, and has no power after 3500rpm. Just cleaned the MAF, IACV, and replaced the TPS. NO MIL. only thing i can think is that the plug to the fuel rail pressure sensor is corroded a bit, though plugs in fine....would this cause these symptoms?

I have had the same problem for years now. It does a hard start thing when its hot but not all the time. I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump and I think the IAC if that's the part I'm thinking of. Replacing the fuel pump made it better for a little bit but didn't fix it. Now its pretty much the same as it always was. I don't have the rough idle though.

I have had the same problem for years now. It does a hard start thing when its hot but not all the time. I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump and I think the IAC if that's the part I'm thinking of. Replacing the fuel pump made it better for a little bit but didn't fix it. Now its pretty much the same as it always was. I don't have the rough idle though.

yeah i think i have multiple problems going on here unfortunately...but the hard starts are fixed for now...