2000 Mustang GT wont start

My car started fine one day. The next day it wont fire. Turns over but wont start. Battery cables weren't getting a good connection so I fixed that problem but still wont start. The car sat for a couple years as my son had wrecked it. Where I work has a body shop class that did the body and paint. The instructor started the car and moved it to the parking lot the day before I picked it up, Thats the last time it ran. It has tried to fire once but it was kind of weak sounding. it turns over fine without jumping it. Any help is appreciated ( I pressed open the valve on the fuel rail on the right side of the engine and nothing, not sure if its supposed to be pressurized with the motor not running)

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe the fuel pump died? If it sat for a couple years, I could see it dying when you start it back up with some dodgy gas. Mine died at a dealer when I was having some routine maintenance done, had shown some signs, but it really died and they couldn't start the car, wanted $900 to replace the entire unit. I got it started and limped it outside, but didn't make it out of the parking lot. Had it towed home by roadside assistance and replaced just the fuel pump, not the whole sender for about $100 plus my labor of dropping the fuel tank. Any check engine light or codes?

IF the only thing wrong with your car is a bad fuel pump THEN it should "hit" on a small amount of starting fluid.

If trying to trouble shoot a possible bad fuel pump the "gold standard" is to test for key on power at the trunk mounted IFS switch. IF there's no key on power at the IFS switch, THEN the problem is upstream towards the CCRM.

If there's key on power at the IFS THEN the problem is down stream towards the fuel pump.

Here's some more information that may help.

1996+ Crank with no start check list

Last edited:
Update : Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started and ran for a few minutes but died, Started again and ran a few minutes and died again , next time started without starter fluid but only ran about 5 minutes and died so I'm pretty sure either the fuel pump is going bad or the fuel filter needs changing or both

Reactions: 1 user
Update : Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started and ran for a few minutes but died, Started again and ran a few minutes and died again , next time started without starter fluid but only ran about 5 minutes and died so I'm pretty sure either the fuel pump is going bad or the fuel filter needs changing or both
Replace the fuel pump and filter.