2000 Mustang Power Steering Leak?

Remy11

Feb 1, 2017
Think i have a powersteering leak... also if it helps the metal line has some play when i move it

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 1,596
  • Sponsors (?)

Hiya and welcome aboard.

I've moved your thread over to the SN95 section. These guys should be able to help get you fixed up.

Have you tried tightening the line yet?

Hiya and welcome aboard.

I've moved your thread over to the SN95 section. These guys should be able to help get you fixed up.

Have you tried tightening the line yet?

Yea, i tried moving the hose clamp up and i used a flare nut wrench to tighten the high pressure pine and its as tight as it goes..

Yea, i tried moving the hose clamp up and i used a flare nut wrench to tighten the high pressure pine and its as tight as it goes..

More than likely, you will have to replace the hose. Make sure that the one you get has all of the necessary seals and backing. There should be instructions with it.

More than likely, you will have to replace the hose. Make sure that the one you get has all of the necessary seals and backing. There should be instructions with it.

So do you think the leak is coming from one of the lines or is the pump just pooped, cause it is a very small leak and i noticed it today cause when i checked the fluid it was pretty low

So do you think the leak is coming from one of the lines or is the pump just pooped, cause it is a very small leak and i noticed it today cause when i checked the fluid it was pretty low

There is absolutely no way for me tell from here but i can tell you what I'd do it if were mine and i were unsure:

I'd change them both, the line and the pump. Neither are very pricey.

If i suspected that the steering rack had the same number of miles, I might start putting a plan together to change that too.

If leaking from that hose fitting there is a rubber o ring at the end and a teflon seal that are both known to cause issues. Try replacing those first. an 18mm wrench and a whole lot of cussing are in your future. :) Good luck. If the pump is old it may not be a bad idea to replace as they are fairly cheap and you have to bleed the system anyway.

Power steer pumps and leaks are my arch-nemesis... ugh.

I cant tell from the picture where the leak is occurring but that looks like its coming from the container for the fluid. The first thing I would check is to make sure you arent using normal power steering fluid. You need to use ATF(transmission fluid)