2000 mustang swerving in rain?

islandfox

Oct 8, 2018
tx
So sorry if I seem like a moron posting this but i'm not familiar with cars at all but this seemed like the best place to go for the topic.
So basically my 2000 base mustang swerved uncontrollably when it was rainy a decent amount.
-It happened once when i was making a left turn and another when i was changing lanes and had to hit the brakes.
-Also, if i'm at a complete stop when its raining, and begin to accelerate, my car will have a real hard time moving until about 5 or so seconds it'll give in.
-I've gotten my tires checked and the tread is fine.
again sorry if i posted in the wrong area or if this is a stupid question. Just freaked me out.

• Sponsors (?)

From another thread:

Well I had a chance and I cleaned all the connectors on the steering wheel cables. That didn't help the problem. I tried resetting the steering wheel alignment sensor. That consisted of disconnecting the battery cable waiting a few minutes connecting the battery cable back on. turn on the ignition, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then to Center, then turn off the ignition. That actually cleared up the traction control problem.

...and along those lines, have you tried turning the traction off to see if it makes a difference?

In 2000, T/C was an option. Given that he said his model was a base model, it probably doesn't have T/C or ABS.

I think you are just hydroplaning. What are the brand and model of your tires, and if possible can you post a few pics of the tread levels?

In 2000, T/C was an option. Given that he said his model was a base model, it probably doesn't have T/C or ABS.

I think you are just hydroplaning. What are the brand and model of your tires, and if possible can you post a few pics of the tread levels?

Base model has T/C and ABS. Mine does a bit of rear end getting loose. I just put brand new set of tires on. I've always had FWD cars and assumed it was just part of RWD getting loose lol

Although mine isnt all over the place.

New tires doesn't really mean much. What kind of tires are they? If they are Walmart specials, they simply might not be that good in the rain and lose traction easily. I'm not trying to claim this is definitely your issue, but it's something that must be explored.

I've had really good tires on my 03 GT and you could drive it in the rain almost like it was dry out. Stuck plenty well and never had any issues losing traction unless I wanted to.

New tires doesn't really mean much. What kind of tires are they? If they are Walmart specials, they simply might not be that good in the rain and lose traction easily. I'm not trying to claim this is definitely your issue, but it's something that must be explored.

I've had really good tires on my 03 GT and you could drive it in the rain almost like it was dry out. Stuck plenty well and never had any issues losing traction unless I wanted to.

Ha definitely not Walmart specials. They arent top of the line but they arent trash. They are about mid grade tires honestly. They are supposed to ge all season as well. Like I said I didnt drift all over the place but I hit a corner and it got loose a little.