2000 Mustang V/6 Standard Amp

fdthird

May 26, 2020
New Jersey
I have owned my 2000 Mustang V/6 Convertible since day one, and I am in the process of replacing the radio in it for the second time. Back 10 years ago when I replaced the OEM unit with a Sony radio from Crutchfield, it was an easy process (once I got the OEM radio out...somebody had a bad day at Dearborn Assembly the day they put that radio in) with the supplied adaptors. This time, I want to bypass the standard amplifier, that's mounted on the transmission tunnel because I'm starting to have speaker drop out that I think is the amp dying. I'm putting in a Pioneer unit from Crutchfield, and got the bypass harness, but their usually great instructions are lacking this time. By doing much research on the web, I've discovered that the connector I need to get off the factory amp is located on the right side, but facing the firewall. My problem is how do I get that connector out of the amp, so I can connect it to the harness? I can't see the connector, can barely get my hand in there, and when I do, I have no idea exactly how to get the connector out of the amp! Do I wiggle it till it comes free, is there a release clip or something like that??? If you know, please help, as I am stymied, and sitting with wires hanging out of my dash and so close, but also so far! Again, this is the standard amp, mounted under the radio and CD deck, not the Mach amps which I know are located elsewhere! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    936.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3093.jpeg
    IMG_3093.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Sponsors (?)

I have owned my 2000 Mustang V/6 Convertible since day one, and I am in the process of replacing the radio in it for the second time. Back 10 years ago when I replaced the OEM unit with a Sony radio from Crutchfield, it was an easy process (once I got the OEM radio out...somebody had a bad day at Dearborn Assembly the day they put that radio in) with the supplied adaptors. This time, I want to bypass the standard amplifier, that's mounted on the transmission tunnel because I'm starting to have speaker drop out that I think is the amp dying. I'm putting in a Pioneer unit from Crutchfield, and got the bypass harness, but their usually great instructions are lacking this time. By doing much research on the web, I've discovered that the connector I need to get off the factory amp is located on the right side, but facing the firewall. My problem is how do I get that connector out of the amp, so I can connect it to the harness? I can't see the connector, can barely get my hand in there, and when I do, I have no idea exactly how to get the connector out of the amp! Do I wiggle it till it comes free, is there a release clip or something like that??? If you know, please help, as I am stymied, and sitting with wires hanging out of my dash and so close, but also so far! Again, this is the standard amp, mounted under the radio and CD deck, not the Mach amps which I know are located elsewhere! Thanks

There is a release tab located on the bottom of the connector. You can call Crutchfield Customer Service with your order number (or they can look it up), and they can connect you with a tech to help further. Wait times are higher than usual right now. 800-955-9091

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    140.4 KB · Views: 200
Thanks for the response! I was very disappointed in Crutchfield for the first time in probably 10 radio installs over the years. Yesterday I went to my garage to see if they had any ideas, and after struggling with the plug for 10 minutes, the mechanic Andy just unscrewed the amp, and took it out! Problem solved! The rest of my instal took 10 minutes!

At 70, that’s probably my last radio install...just not that easy to climb under the dashboard anymore!

Good deal. Congrats!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Our reps are working longer and harder than ever right now, but that should not have affected your service. Please give us another try next time. Thanks!