2000 V6 3.8 engine swap

deadman323

May 4, 2005
i want to change the engine in my mustang pretty soon because i bought it and it has alot of mileage on it. its a V6 3.8 and was wondering if its possible to put in like a 5.0 engine? if so how much and what will be needed to be done?

• Sponsors (?)

first do a search, then proceed to use smaller font w/o bold.

ok now your ready, your going to need a lot to do the swap. see the the other thread on here about doing the swap(it was a recent post but there are tons more on this subject on this site). for now all im gonna tell you is that youll need more than the engine... more as in like a wrecked gt that has alot of drivetrain, computer stuff that still good.

Most of us V6 guys and gals have come to realize that it really takes more work than we ever thought and a lot more parts than you may think you need. Most people will tell you that it's not worth it jsut because it does take so much to convert our cars to V8's, but if you want to try it, go for it, but you will need a wrecked GT, that's the best way to go about doing the swap.
You will need at least: engine, computer, rear end, trans, and thats just for starters.

cruisinV6 said:
Most of us V6 guys and gals have come to realize that it really takes more work than we ever thought and a lot more parts than you may think you need. Most people will tell you that it's not worth it jsut because it does take so much to convert our cars to V8's, but if you want to try it, go for it, but you will need a wrecked GT, that's the best way to go about doing the swap.
You will need at least: engine, computer, rear end, trans, and thats just for starters.

complete exhaust from headers back, radiator, fan, clutch, suspension, master cylinder, 8.8" rear, and the hardest part of all, all the damn electronic bs!

I know first hand, and Yes...its a major pain in the butt...you need more than you would ever have thought like new brake hydro booster, steering rack, lines, pcm, pcm harness, main harness, speedo, trans, drive shaft, and reprogramming the computer to talk to the pcm and PATS ssytem WILL be your biggest obstical!

but where theres a will theres a way, took me about 5 months and roughly 2,500 bucks....but i feel it has paid off

Ryan

The state of mind you need for this project:

"Ok, I need to completely strip the car of every part and bolt, and reassemble it with the new pieces I need."

If you think like that, you will actually be surprised by the very, very few parts you can keep instead of being discouraged because of the parts you have to buy. Plan for the worst, pray for the best. Of course, it's a pain in the ass to rebuild without having some sort of a doner car or just a car to sit next to yours so you can compare and make sure everything is in order.

If you have patience, you'll have a blast. If you fall short in that category, your car may end up with more pieces than it originally came with :D