2001 3.8L, wont start

Heftiger

Jan 30, 2010
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forums and have been looking around. I have a question about my 2001 3.8L.

The car will crank but won't start. Most of the time... Recently my wife was driving it and had trouble getting it started. It started eventually and she drove it. Then the next time she tried to start it, it wouldn't start again. It finally started then started shuttering and shut off.

Since then we can't get it to start. I replaced the fuel filter and checked the relay. None of that worked. I finally forked over the money for a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up, and the car started! We revved it, and everything seemed ok. We put it into gear and the car shuttered and shut off again and now it wont start. Mind you, the entire time it was on, the fuel pressure gauge read 0 psi. Before I spend the money on a new fuel pump I want to get your guys' opinion.

I thought it might be the PATS but when I put the key in the ON position the THEFT light doesn't blink. I also tried the valet switch on my after market alarm just in case but that didn't do anything.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

First, does the car have a strong battery? The electronics and sensors need a stong battery to work correctly. I have seen cars that appear to crank fine but won't start. As soon as the battery is jumped (or replaced), they fire right up.

What is the "theft" light doing during cranking? Remember, for the 1999-2004 MY, the PATS system disables fuel and spark when activated. Therefore, it would be NOT normal to have a crank with no start AND zero fuel pressure. If PATS is the only reason for the no start, there will be normal fuel pressure. Ford factory PATS does NOT disable the fuel pump.

How does the aftermarket alarm work? Strongly suspect this could be your problem.

Note, it is not possible for the engine to run at all with zero fuel pressure. Are you sure the gauge is actually opening the Schrader valve and reading FP? I suspect not.

If the key is cycled on/off(not started), do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? You should be able to confirm that the Fuel Pump is running with your gauge attached by actually seeing the gauge move. Also by turning the key on/off, this helps build FP in the rails. If this improves the condition, suspect a leaky fuel injector or bad check valve in the fuel pump.

If the car won't start, try cracking the throttle half way. If it starts right up, suspect a bad Idle Air Controller (IAC).

Also check the IFS switch in the trunk (not likely the problem as the car would never start). Also not a bad idea to check all of the fuses.

Note, there are few sensors needed to start the motor (far more are needed to make it run). The most likely sensor that will cause a no-start is the crank shaft position sensor (CKP). Next most likely are the coil packs.

Recommend confirming that your aftermarket alarm system is not the problem. Then confirm PATS, Fuel Pressure, and IAC and go from there.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user