2001 4.6 Tps Question

Bill2001gt

Aug 7, 2016
Hey guys, if you take too much slack out of the throttle cable can it affect the TPS sensor voltage making it read higher than it should. I could sure use a quick answer before I take my car into the shop on Tuesday might save me some money thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

It's VITAL for the TPS to read the SAME each time the throttle is closed. EXPECT idle problems if this is not true. In the same way the throttle must rest positively on the idle stop screw every time.

The throttle linkage must move freely with no binding. Soooo in the same vein, the TWO throttle return springs are VITAL to how everything works together.

More information:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/troubleshoot-iac-idle-problems-1996-2004.13/

Thanks so much for your input. It looks like you're a busy man by all the posts. I attempted to continue my questions at your personal site. I hope you received as much help or appreciation as you give.

My main dilemma is should I shorten the spacer and make sure I get these 0.96 reading or drill out the mounting holes so I can adjust it right or left to get the 0.96 reading. I like the response of feel but I don't like the bad gas mileage or gassy smell. Thanks for all the help

Did you read the thread on how to trouble shoot IAC/idle problems? There's information on HOW the 96+ model year TPS works and how/why it works different than 95 or older Mustangs.

The PCM re-learns the TPS value on EACH start-up. Therefore the absolute VALUE of the TPS has no meaning at all. The ONLY thing that matters is that the TPS produces the SAME value every time that the throttle is closed.

Don't make your situation worse by trying to "adjust" the TPS to achieve a specific TPS value. IF the TPS signal isn't stable then there's another reason for the unstable TPS signal. Understanding this is VITAL to actually solving idle issues.

Expect problems as long as the throttle butterfly isn't resting POSITIVELY on the idle stop screw.

Any gas smell is not the fault of the TPS.

Last edited: