2001 Cobra Engine Advice Needed

Jul 19, 2017
Hey guys,
So I bought an 01 cobra about a month back now and it had a nasty knock which I was aware of before looking at the car. From what I heard and what Ive read online Im assuming its a thrown journal bearing. Im in the middle of pulling the motor, but once that happens Im not sure what I am going to do. I plan on throwing in the same motor, whether it be the exact 4.6 32v remachined or if I should try to find a new 4.6l short block and re use the heads. Also if I should just get another short block where is a reputable place that I can get one. Ive looked in a couple of places like Coast performance but I have heard mixed reviews. I want to do this right the first time and not have something put in thats just going to grenade in a year. Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

RaggedGT

GonnaBeASuperMod
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
Taylorsville ky
Hey guys,
So I bought an 01 cobra about a month back now and it had a nasty knock which I was aware of before looking at the car. From what I heard and what Ive read online Im assuming its a thrown journal bearing. Im in the middle of pulling the motor, but once that happens Im not sure what I am going to do. I plan on throwing in the same motor, whether it be the exact 4.6 32v remachined or if I should try to find a new 4.6l short block and re use the heads. Also if I should just get another short block where is a reputable place that I can get one. Ive looked in a couple of places like Coast performance but I have heard mixed reviews. I want to do this right the first time and not have something put in thats just going to grenade in a year. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to Stangnet
I updated your title and moved your thread to the '96-04' section. You will get more traffic from the people that know here.
My best advice would be to pull the engine and take it to a reputable machine shop. And proceed with there recommendations

Jul 19, 2017
Welcome to Stangnet
I updated your title and moved your thread to the '96-04' section. You will get more traffic from the people that know here.
My best advice would be to pull the engine and take it to a reputable machine shop. And proceed with there recommendations

Thanks man really appreciate it !

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
Is it lack of time or expertise that keeps you from rebuilding it yourself. You can save money and get some real satisfaction doing it yourself. 2001 if I remember correctly may or may not be a Teksid Block(arguably the best one), if Teksid you will definitely want to rebuild yours as they command a premium.

robertsa

Apr 22, 2017
San Antonio
Short block is likely going to be the most cost effective route.

Jul 19, 2017
Is it lack of time or expertise that keeps you from rebuilding it yourself. You can save money and get some real satisfaction doing it yourself. 2001 if I remember correctly may or may not be a Teksid Block(arguably the best one), if Teksid you will definitely want to rebuild yours as they command a premium.

I have the intake manifold off and it looks as though I do have the Teksid block. What made them so good?

Jul 19, 2017
I plan on at least taking it out and putting it back in. However with some of the more fine detail stuff Ill most likely need some help. But I do plan on doing as much of it as I can by myself.

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
I have the intake manifold off and it looks as though I do have the Teksid block. What made them so good?
Cast in Italy, good for over a 1K HP they say. The WAP is still good but not as strong. Only a few '01 Cobras came with them.