2001 gt autotrans swap into 1998 gt **sigh**

what?where did that extra connector come from?valve body looks different...why? 98' harness is longer than 01...why?Jimminy crickets! i think i should have just had my auto trans rebuilt. does anybody know what i may have to do to make this work? i see im gonna have to change harnesses because the 01' harness is way to short..im installing this trans this weekend.any ideas/suggestions/tips are appreciated and helpful..thank you

• Sponsors (?)

JTarnacke:

Maybe too late but check out the Drivetrain forum at TCCoA.com. Lot of those guys have swapped in late model trannies into their 'Birds and Cougars. There are write-ups for what you need to do. Maybe just a re-pin of the connector (at the transmission)?

HTH,

Chris

JTarnacke:

Maybe too late but check out the Drivetrain forum at TCCoA.com. Lot of those guys have swapped in late model trannies into their 'Birds and Cougars. There are write-ups for what you need to do. Maybe just a re-pin of the connector (at the transmission)?

HTH,

Chris
thank you Chris. im gonna check that website out now.while trans is out i spent time painting under carriage today with rustoleum hammered black paint. the underneath looks so cool now.thnx for the tip!gonna start install tomorrow.

what?where did that extra connector come from?valve body looks different...why? 98' harness is longer than 01...why?Jimminy crickets!
The 96-98 uses a VSS speed sensor. The 99-04+ uses an OSS sensor. The outputs of the two sensors are not compatible with each other. In addition, the sensor type needs to match the wiring harness and PCM.

An extended range SpeedCal may fix the difference in this case.

For more information regarding the difference between a VSS and OSS check out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

Yes I know the T45 is a manual. But this should give anyone not familiar with the difference, visual proof.

thank you for the heads up.I was unaware of this.Im going to look into the link you provided.
very much appreciated wmburns!

The 96-98 uses a VSS speed sensor. The 99-04+ uses an OSS sensor. The outputs of the two sensors are not compatible with each other. In addition, the sensor type needs to match the wiring harness and PCM.

An extended range SpeedCal may fix the difference in this case.

For more information regarding the difference between a VSS and OSS check out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

Yes I know the T45 is a manual. But this should give anyone not familiar with the difference, visual proof.

im working the **sigh** afternoon shift so time is an issue but have this saturday off.im focused on getting the trans installed and realized today the mlps is different as well.can i swap the mlps from the 98' trans to the 01'?im thinking about redoing wiring harness when i get off work tonight to accomodate the V.S.S. since the 98' trans has a O.S.S.

I cant believe i did it again. I honestly thought my gt was a 98' but its a 97'. I have 3 fords all consecutive years. I have a 96' taurus wagon, 97' gt and a 98' f-150. I think this is why i was having such a difficult time finding the info i needed.It looks like in 98' is when they changed up the trans a bit.

ok i have repinned the harness and im so glad i removed all the tape and wire loom to inspect it. I found 2 wires that are for the oss sensor that were pinsched,burned and stuck together. before i repair these wires does anyone know if im to use the mlps and speed sensor from the newer or older trans.Im thinking the older but not for sure. I dont want to spend the time resoldering new wires for the wrong sensor.

thank you for the info you guys shared.It was all helpful and interesting.

Trans is installed,since car was high up on jack stands i took time to repair leaking differential (pinion seal,diff cover and both wheel seals) changed oil installed all new brake calipers and ceramic brakes....test drive!! only has 1st and 2nd gear... why wont it go into 3rd???

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while but I'm trying to put a 2001 4r70w trans into my 98 r4702, Ive put the VVS sensor and tails haft from my 1998 into my 2001 trans, I also wired up a speed cal but I'm not sure if i wired it up correctly for a VSS to OSS swap, I just followed the instructions that came in the box from dallas mustangs. the computer acts like everything is working accept the trans won't move. I also swapped out my mlps. I read the t-45 tail shaft swap and the only thing i couldn't not find from that was where the magnetic pin this was on my auto trans. I am stuck, what should i do now?