2001 gt convertibletop wont go up or down?>

imdadrdre

Dec 16, 2017
does someone have a flow chart for troubleshooting this problem i dont know if its the switch ,wiring ,motor ,or where to statrt ? im thinking if i can get the wiring scheme of the switch pinout to the motor for top i may be able to get it thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If interested in getting a full factory service manual and wiring diagrams for your car I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

But if this were my car the first thing I would CONFIRM a good ground to the raise and lower relays.

Here's some information on how to perform a voltage drop test.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

its all factory why would the ground matter? where do i check that ? it used to work fine..
What things could affect both the raise and lower functions?
  • Fuse or Circuit breaker
  • ground
  • bad convertible top pump motor
Doesn't your car have a safety feature to prevent the operation of the convertible top unless the parking brake is set? Guess what. How does the safety brake work? Hint by breaking the ground from the raise and lower relays.

As to why it used to work and doesn't now isn't that the $64,000 question?

Where to you live? Do they salt the roads where you live? How about does it rain where you live? Have you EVER spilled a drink in the center console?

IF this were my car I would start with the basics. IE power and grounds. Confirm there is key on +12 volts at the convertible relays. Confirm there's a STRONG ground path all the way back to battery negative. Confirm that the control side of the raise and lower relays has a good ground with the parking brake up. Confirm that the ground goes away when the parking brake is off.

What things could affect both the raise and lower functions?
  • Fuse or Circuit breaker
  • ground
  • bad convertible top pump motor
Doesn't your car have a safety feature to prevent the operation of the convertible top unless the parking brake is set? Guess what. How does the safety brake work? Hint by breaking the ground from the raise and lower relays.

As to why it used to work and doesn't now isn't that the $64,000 question?

Where to you live? Do they salt the roads where you live? How about does it rain where you live? Have you EVER spilled a drink in the center console?

IF this were my car I would start with the basics. IE power and grounds. Confirm there is key on +12 volts at the convertible relays. Confirm there's a STRONG ground path all the way back to battery negative. Confirm that the control side of the raise and lower relays has a good ground with the parking brake up. Confirm that the ground goes away when the parking brake is off.

where are these relays located?