2001 gt engine swap

• Sponsors (?)

ponysarepretty said:
FORD
The 5.4 Navigator engine weighs: 660lbs (frp)
300 hp 5000 rpm
355 ft-lbs 2750 rpm
$4,395.00

4.6 Aviator Motor: 672 lbs (dunno why its heavier than the 5.4 which is cast in iron)
302 hp 5750 rpm
300 ft-lbs. 3250 rpm
$5,495.00

4.6 Mach 1 Motor: 618 lbs
305 HP @ 5800 RPM
320 ft./lbs. of torque @ 4200 RPM
$5,200.00

5.0 Cammer: 669 lbs
400 hp
365 ft/lbs
$14,995.00

GM:
LS1: ~380 lbs
350 HP @ 5800 RPM
385 Lb-Ft @ 4400 RPM
$6,672.50

LS7: ~480 lbs
500 HP
475 LB-FT
I hear it about 12k, so same cost as the cammer.

The Chevy engines weigh less, cost a little bit more
Let me ask you though....are these both fully dressed weights....accessories and all? I can dead lift my long block 4.6L SOHC, iron block with moderate effort (had to the other day actually :D ) without the accessories on it….and there’s no way it weighed anywhere close to 600lbs. A 5.4L DOHC aluminum block with 4-valve heads, extra cams and larger timing cover, etc, etc can’t be more than another 80lbs over the SOHC. I’ll bet anything that those Ford engine weights quoted above are with full accessories and bracketry, where the GM engines are rated without? :scratch:

Gearbanger 101 said:
Let me ask you though....are these both fully dressed weights....accessories and all? I can dead lift my long block 4.6L SOHC, iron block with moderate effort (had to the other day actually :D ) without the accessories on it….and there’s no way it weighed anywhere close to 600lbs. A 5.4L DOHC aluminum block with 4-valve heads, extra cams and larger timing cover, etc, etc can’t be more than another 80lbs over the SOHC. I’ll bet anything that those Ford engine weights quoted above are with full accessories and bracketry, where the GM engines are rated without? :scratch:

Probably... why the hell would your deadlift a shortblock??... seems a bit superflous does it not?

I'm not trying to say the mustang is bad or anything, I am trying to say that the LS1 is a better enginethan the 4.6 2V, just like a LS7 will always be better than an LS2.

ponysarepretty said:
Probably... why the hell would your deadlift a shortblock??... seems a bit superflous does it not?
It was actually a long-block and it wasn't until said newly built long-block was sitting on the ground outside, because I had put it there temporarily while cleaning out the garage and had noticed only after it had begun to rain.....that my engine lift was now buried and inaccessible at the rear of the shop. That was probably the longest 15-feet I've ever had to walk. :D

As far as the LS1 being better.....I'll concede to it being more powerful than a SOHC, but that's where our consensus on the subject ends. :cheers:

Gearbanger 101 said:
It was actually a long-block and it wasn't until said newly built long-block was sitting on the ground outside, because I had put it there temporarily while cleaning out the garage and had noticed only after it had begun to rain.....that my engine lift was now buried and inaccessible at the rear of the shop. That was probably the longest 15-feet I've ever had to walk. :D

As far as the LS1 being better.....I'll concede to it being more powerful than a SOHC, but that's where our consensus on the subject ends. :cheers:

And more power than a DOHC :D

A good engine is a good engine :cheers:

Gearbanger 101 said:
regardless, the Ls engines do weigh in at less, fully dressed. They are becoming very popular over here with kit cars for that very reason.

if you are a mechanical engineer with all of the fabrication tools available, then by all means do it. you will need access to all feedback items(the little stuff) to make it work.

ANYTHING can be done. a 1956 dodge 392 hemi will fit, but why?

i have some questions for you. assume it can be done.

locations for things such as oil pan. what oil pan will you use? chevy is ALIEN to ford. who is going to fab the proper volume and insure no oil interference with the crank. also where are you going to get the custom oil feed tube and pick-up? what about oil starvation? also you currently have a ford modulated fuel pump, how do you work it with chevy? convert to return system. also does the drivers side exhaust hit the steering rod? what about the tranny tunnel? does the chevy bellhousing clear it? getting a custom driveshaft is easy. tranny mount and location ? what about throw out system for clutch ? location of shifter port in body? i guess the tranny is the same type but different bellhousing size. torque for 5.7l is higheer than 4.6, what about rear end durability? i mean spider gears.

LS1 V8 n/a 480lbs.
explorer aluminum crate motor 530 lbs.
dohc 576 lbs.
sohc mustang 600 lbs.

just asking. of course it can be done.nice project. how long do you think it will take to do all those things? maybe there is a kit.
or maybe do a 32 ford kit car.

billfisher said:
locations for things such as oil pan. what oil pan will you use? chevy is ALIEN to ford. who is going to fab the proper volume and insure no oil interference with the crank. also where are you going to get the custom oil feed tube and pick-up? what about oil starvation? also you currently have a ford modulated fuel pump, how do you work it with chevy? convert to return system. also does the drivers side exhaust hit the steering rod? what about the tranny tunnel? does the chevy bellhousing clear it? getting a custom driveshaft is easy. tranny mount and location ? what about throw out system for clutch ? location of shifter port in body? i guess the tranny is the same type but different bellhousing size. torque for 5.7l is higheer than 4.6, what about rear end durability? i mean spider gears.

I just started doing research for this swap so i have answers to these question.

1. An aftermarket k-member should be used for the swap. In doing so the stock f-body oil pan will fit.

2. The fuel system will have to be changed to return style with aftermarket rails and fuel pressure regulater. The fuel system just needs to be hooked up to a 12V key on source to work. The ls1 computer will run the motor and wont need any tuning. Although there is a company that can modify the ls1 harness to put the eec where the factory ford eec is. And you dont necessarily have to do this. The ls1 eec is in the engine compartment on f-bodies anyways.

3. The drivers side header will hit the steering shaft with aftermarket ls1 headers. Ways around this are stock ls1 headers which fit. But the 3 bolt flange needs to be grinded down. Or 351w headers. You have to cut the flange off and have an exhaust shop weld ls1 flanges on in their place. The spacing on the exhaust ports are the same for an ls1 and a 351w.

4. No clearencing needs to be done for the tranny to fit in the tunnel. However a little bit of the shifter hole has to be cut back for the shifter to bolt up. That requires a dremel or cutoff wheel. Not necessarily special tools either.

5. The rear end should be upgraded regardless. People blow them with stock 4.6's anyways.

Ang the only thing that is posing a problem with this swap is the hydraulic clutch. You can use a lt1 setup for the t56 which allows the use of a clutch fork setup like fords. However I have yet to find someone who has done it.

Modifying you stock clutch setup to work with the hydraulic ls1 parts seems to be the only way. Alot of people have mentioned the use of turbo coupe parts but noneone has actually gotten that type of setup running either.

Another way is to use a tko trannie with a chevy 350 mcleud bellhousing. And you can get the required clutch and clutch quadrant parts to fit for your application.

Just adding tech to this thread. I am in no way flaming you billfisher. Just answering your questions.

Dan.

Numbles said:
I just started doing research for this swap so i have answers to these question.

1. An aftermarket k-member should be used for the swap. In doing so the stock f-body oil pan will fit.

2. The fuel system will have to be changed to return style with aftermarket rails and fuel pressure regulater. The fuel system just needs to be hooked up to a 12V key on source to work. The ls1 computer will run the motor and wont need any tuning. Although there is a company that can modify the ls1 harness to put the eec where the factory ford eec is. And you dont necessarily have to do this. The ls1 eec is in the engine compartment on f-bodies anyways.

3. The drivers side header will hit the steering shaft with aftermarket ls1 headers. Ways around this are stock ls1 headers which fit. But the 3 bolt flange needs to be grinded down. Or 351w headers. You have to cut the flange off and have an exhaust shop weld ls1 flanges on in their place. The spacing on the exhaust ports are the same for an ls1 and a 351w.

4. No clearencing needs to be done for the tranny to fit in the tunnel. However a little bit of the shifter hole has to be cut back for the shifter to bolt up. That requires a dremel or cutoff wheel. Not necessarily special tools either.

5. The rear end should be upgraded regardless. People blow them with stock 4.6's anyways.

Ang the only thing that is posing a problem with this swap is the hydraulic clutch. You can use a lt1 setup for the t56 which allows the use of a clutch fork setup like fords. However I have yet to find someone who has done it.

Modifying you stock clutch setup to work with the hydraulic ls1 parts seems to be the only way. Alot of people have mentioned the use of turbo coupe parts but noneone has actually gotten that type of setup running either.

Another way is to use a tko trannie with a chevy 350 mcleud bellhousing. And you can get the required clutch and clutch quadrant parts to fit for your application.

Just adding tech to this thread. I am in no way flaming you billfisher. Just answering your questions.

Dan.

Any thoughts on by passing the hydra-boost for the brakes?

lots of good answers, but my 5.4 3v will kill any ls smaller than 7 litres. i can bore it also. 380 cubes i believe. so why do i want a chevy motor? if you have the skill and pocket book then why not 5.4 4v. they make 885 hp and 8500 rpms. there aren't any real advantages to chevy. i can mod for mod out power them. i started at 325 hp.

i am stepped long tubes, 85mm TB, 24lb injectors, lihtning MAF, and cams away from 425hp. try that with a stock headed 5.3 or 5.7 chevy.

the 6.0 already has the good heads,ls-6 intake, and cams. not much left there.

of course more is available, but the point is i can make more pre mod. so chevy really still sucks.

BTW i enjoy flaming. so go at it dude.