2001 GT: Head Gasket Install, Clutch Install & Misc Repairs.

SoCalCam

Dec 15, 2010
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have finally taken the initiative to register with a large site. I'm currently in the middle of performing a moderate overhaul on my 2001 GT. So far I've been very successful at identifying problems, carefully disassembling major sections and keeping parts in order. Everything is digitally documented and noted, bolts bagged etc...

I have run into the following issues though and am seeking some advice or solutions...

- A bolt location diagram for the transmission to engine connection.
- A realistic fix for stripped inner threads in the transmission connection between mount and tail...Stupid friend was TIGHTENING not un-tightening the bolt...retard.
- Something better than a plastic scraper and brake cleaner to remove baked on head gasket material...as recommended by my local Ford dealership. >.<
- Any relative advice on installing the resurfaced heads...
- Recommended Clutch Brand / Type for moderate modifications. (Exhaust, Intake, Stg. 1 Comp Cams, Short Throw shifter, etc..)
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A bolt location diagram for the transmission to engine connection.
Manual or automatic? If manual, two slightly longer bolts at the top. 3 on the driver's side. 2 on the passenger's side. 3 starter bolts. 2 holding the dust sheild on the bottom.

I don't undertand which transmission bolts are stripped. Pictures?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have finally taken the initiative to register with a large site. I'm currently in the middle of performing a moderate overhaul on my 2001 GT. So far I've been very successful at identifying problems, carefully disassembling major sections and keeping parts in order. Everything is digitally documented and noted, bolts bagged etc...

I have run into the following issues though and am seeking some advice or solutions...

- A realistic fix for stripped inner threads in the transmission connection between mount and tail...Stupid friend was TIGHTENING not un-tightening the bolt...retard.

For this you'll probably want a Helicoil or Timesert. You'll need to drill the hole to the next size, thread it and then screw in the thread repair insert. The OE bolt should then work.

Hopefully you won't have to replace the tailhousing.

- Something better than a plastic scraper and brake cleaner to remove baked on head gasket material...as recommended by my local Ford dealership.

Since the block is iron you can probably use a flat razor blade like:

-192031604766823890.jpg

without too much fear of marring the surface. You can also get proper gasket scrapers like this:

Protoreg--Gasket-Scrapers-EE430-ba.jpg

Clean up the remnants with a Scotchbrite pad. Don't scatch the metal or remove any metal. Surface finish is important with the MLS headgaskets...

- Any relative advice on installing the resurfaced heads...

Best advice is to follow the Ford service manual. Make sure you replace all TTY (torque to yield) fasteners with new or upgraded parts. Use a proper calibrated torque wrench and angle-gauge (if using new TTY bolts...) Use the highest quality gaskets you can get (Ford parts will be fine). Make sure the mating surfaces are spotless and dry. Make sure your intake and exhaust ports are taped to prevent **** and debris from getting in there.

- Recommended Clutch Brand / Type for moderate modifications. (Exhaust, Intake, Stg. 1 Comp Cams, Short Throw shifter, etc..)

Stock.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply guys. First off, thanks for the information, it has helped. Just been up to my neck in finals, work and tearing the car apart...

The stripped part of the transmission is near the brace/mount I believe? Two bolts holes and one is stripped...really kinda worried and need to have this up and running for next semester real soon. Want to have a reliable and permanent repair, just not sure how to perform it..I am pissed at my buddy to say the least..

The car is a manual yes. The INNER threads are stripped on one of the two mounting positions nearest to the tail end of the transmission... is that a massive problem? I don't have the money to get a tailhousing really.. : / Pretty worried about that now..

I used a razor blade for as long as I could but ended up finishing the block off with a 3m yellow roloc wheel attached to an impact drill. Low speed, flat adherence to the deck of the block and it seemed to clean it right up.. Kept debris out of the bore with towels and proceeded to heavily blow any microscopic pieces out. Oiled the bore...etc etc. Just want to do this all RIGHT because it's my college car and fun car ^^ haha