2001 GT Suddenly sputtering under accelaration

• Sponsors (?)

forpit2000gt said:
sounds like you fixed the problem anyway. plugs do have to look bad to be bad. Did you replace with platinums or coppers?
Well, you may get a chuckle out of this answer. Went to my Ford Dealer on Friday to buy the Motorcraft Platinum. They sold me plugs for some other car, not my Mustang. So, went to Advance Auto Parts on Saturday and bought the Autolite platinum plugs. Can't wait to visit that Ford Dealer at lunch today and stick these plugs up somebody's ***. :nonono:

AWSF32c is the correct copper plug, I know AGSF-32c is for the FRPP heads so I guessed that his may have been a platinum version of the same FRPP plug. I still like going to walmart and using the Autolite 764s.hopefully just an honest mistake by the counter guy.

forpit2000gt said:
AWSF32c is the correct copper plug, I know AGSF-32c is for the FRPP heads so I guessed that his may have been a platinum version of the same FRPP plug. I still like going to walmart and using the Autolite 764s.hopefully just an honest mistake by the counter guy.
Well, just got back from returning them. Told the guy (different guy) what happened. He said that they were the right plugs and they just look different.
"Says it right here on the screen...plugs may look different...didn't they tell you?" Um, no.
Then he tells me that Autolite plugs are the worst spark plugs you can put on a Ford...WTF?! "Why?", I asked.
"Because they're just like champions and they don't last very long.", he says.
"Whatever, dude. Just give me my $68 bucks back!"

Time to find another Dealership. :notnice:

$ 68.00 for plugs.......... :notnice:
Any copper will not last as long as a platinum.
Don't buy from a dealer unless it is not offered anywhere else. Some things like belts, hoses, friction modifier are reasonable and sometimes cheaper at the dealer, at my dealer anyways.

forpit2000gt said:
Incorrect, AWSF-32C is the old part for stock heads and AGSF-32C is the updated part for stock heads. You cannot buy AWSF-32C at the counter any more, only the new part... And the C means copper (P-platinum, PP-double platinum).

I heard from a reliable source that NGKs are the way to go... anyone else agree or disagree? I'm getting ready to replace my plugs and will probably not go with platinums.

NGK makes great plugs, I have run NGK, Motorcraft, Autolites. I don't have anything neg about any of these. A family member runs a Renegade car and uses NGK. I know a lot of other racers that do the same. The list below is posted up as sticky on another web site. It may be around here somewhere as well.

Motorcraft

PART# / HEAT RANGE
AWSF-32C / stock heat range - copper plug
AWSF-22C / 1 Heat range colder - copper plug
AWSFA-12C / 2 Hea range cooler - copper plug
AGSF-32C/ Recommended for FRPP heads(not sure on heat range)

NGK

PART# / HEAT RANGE
TR-55/ 3951/ Stock Heat Range
TR-6/ 4177/ 1 Step Colder
BP7EFS (PN - 3526) BR7EF (PN - 3346) two steps
R5724-8 (PN - 7317) two and a half steps
R5724-9 (PN - 7891) three steps
R5724-10 (PN - 7993) four steps

AUTOLITE

PART# / HEAT RANGE
764s / Stock
103s / 1 heat range cooler
AR94 / 2 heat range cooler
AR93 / 3 heat range cooler
AR92 / 4 heat range cooler

CHAMPION

PART# / HEAT RANGE
YS-59C / -3 or -4 below stock heat range

DENSO

PART# / HEAT RANGE
IT16 / stock heat
IT20 / -1 heat range
IT22 / -2 heat range
IT24 / -3 heat range

Well, I decided to try one more thing before taking it to the shop. Replaced my MAF a few days ago. Today was the first good test b/c I was in stop and go traffic and then sat in a drive thru for 15 minutes and then drove back to work on the highway. It got pretty hot today...like mid 80's I guess.

Problem seems to be solved! :banana:

I thought I was on the right track right after I put the new MAF in b/c the car was idling smoother right off the bat.